PDA

View Full Version : Adding a patch

PtBetsie
10-16-2011, 09:47 AM
Laptop will connect to the internet just fine away from my home (ethernet) but here I receive a "limited or no connectivity". Last night I read about a needed patch for an SP2 problem which could be linked to the limited connectivity problem. However without knowing about that I had installed SP3 immediately after the install of WIN XP with SP2. To try to fix this, do I have to completely reinstall windows through SP2 then add the patch before adding SP3 or can I add the patch now and have it work?

PrntRhd
10-16-2011, 10:44 AM
XP SP3 is the current standard for obtaining patches from MS these days; but it sounds more like a local networking equipment issue at home if the connection is fine elsewhere but not so much at home.

What modem/router so you use at home?
Is this connecting wired to the PC or is it wireless?

PtBetsie
10-16-2011, 11:24 AM
I don't believe it's an "at home" problem per networking. I have been through this before with another laptop which is working fine in its new locale. The internet provider and ZOOM Telephonics could find no solution for me. It is locking onto an incorrect IP. The KB patch info link pretty much describes the problem. My two desktops are connected just fine, no glitches there, but they were installed with my own XP cd's.

hackerballs
10-19-2011, 07:22 AM
patches for XP SP2 are all included with SP3..you should have the patch already installed

Paul Komski
10-19-2011, 09:28 PM
It is locking onto an incorrect IP.
PCs don't lock onto IP addresses they are supplied by one or other DHCP server - including one's own PC if there is a bad connection for any reason.

What is the correct and what is the incorrect IP address?

If ipconfig is showing 169.254.x.x then that is almost certainly set by your own windows box (when set to automatic) and that implies a bad connection to the router which most commonly set 192.168.x.x values.

Agree that you don't need to go back to SP2 if you are currently running SP3.