PDA

View Full Version : Limited Wireless Access

tom1590
11-08-2011, 10:48 AM
*I posted this in the Windows section because in the brief research I've done indicated it may be a battery / power saving issue. It's hard to find answers when you don't have access to the internet :(. I'm at work and I'm having issues w/ my dell laptop at home.

Ok, so here's my issue, I brought my computer with me on vacation and everytime I'd connect to a wireless network it'd either connect, connect with limited access (which wouldn't allow for me to go on the internet), or wouldn't detect any wireless networks. I figured there was just something wrong w/ my laptop just for that particular network but now that I'm home I'm having the same issues with my own wireless network. When I trouble shoot the error it completes all of the tests except for the very first one "Detect Wireless Adapter or Access Point", it fails that test. The problem is very odd because when I started my laptop up this morning it briefly connected to the wireless network, only to disconnect a few moments later.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, if I don't get an answer by the end of the day I think I will have to reformat :(.

I forgot to add that I'm using Windows 7 Ultimate.

And yes, I've tried resetting the router.

Thanks.

classicsoftware
11-08-2011, 08:55 PM
Every laptop has a switch that turns wireless on and off. Please check this switch/button/key combination.

tom1590
11-09-2011, 12:23 AM
It isn't my wireless key. It can detect the network w/ "limited access". When I use and ethernet cable it works fine. I believe that I updated my driver.
Even after reformatting it still won't work O.O
Intel(R) WiFi Link 5100 AGN.
Still haven't found a solution.

classicsoftware
11-09-2011, 01:00 AM
It isn't my wireless key. It can detect the network w/ "limited access". When I use and ethernet cable it works fine. I believe that I updated my driver.
Even after reformatting it still won't work O.O
Intel(R) WiFi Link 5100 AGN.
Still haven't found a solution.

You will never find a solution if you don't follow the advice given. The fact that you can connect via Ethernet has no bearing on connecting via wireless. Have you toggled the wireless adapter on and off using the key combination/switch/button on the laptop?

tom1590
11-09-2011, 10:46 AM
Yes, I did toggle the wireless key on the laptop. It didn't fix it =/

*I even reformatted my laptop and the problem still persists.

Paul Komski
11-09-2011, 11:51 AM
Right Click on Computer and choose Manage.

Then go to Device Manager and see if the Wifi Network Card is properly detected there under Network Adapters. There should also be no yellow exclamation marks anywhere in Device Manager and all items should have an unexpanded + sign beside them.

If it is detected it doesn't mean that it is working but if is not detected you need to either try reseating the NIC and its two wires or obtain a replacement or use a WiFi dongle/pcmcia card in its place.

If the WiFi can see the correct SSID station but not connect to it properly then try temporarily removing all WiFi security in the router and disable any firewalls running under windows. and then see if a connection is then possible.

The last thing I would try is to remove any extraneous wifi network connections in the list (http://forevergeeks.com/how-to-connect-to-a-wireless-access-point-in-windows-7/) and reboot and rescan for wifi networks and start over.

PS What is the make model of laptop?

tom1590
11-09-2011, 12:08 PM
I checked the device manager and it didn't have any yellow triangled !'s on it. It read the Intel(R) WiFi Link 5100 AGN just fine.

It's a dell inspiron, not sure what #. it's a year or two old.

Removed all other wifi networks.

And if I understood your suggestion correctly, what I should try is disabling windows firewall along w/ AVG's (what i use for virus protection)?

I will try that once I get home....

I WILL persevere!

Paul Komski
11-09-2011, 01:32 PM
And if I understood your suggestion correctly, what I should try is disabling windows firewall along w/ AVG's (what i use for virus protection)?
It is unlikely to make a difference but it takes those possibilities out of the loop.

It is equally important to try disabling the WiFi security as a troubleshooting method. If disabling security allows normal access then the passkey you are entering is either wrong or the Windows settings have held onto an incorrect one.

By the way, the WiFi cards on recent Dell Inspirons are not hard to replace. Here are some on eBay UK (http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=Link+5100+AGN&_sacat=See-All-Categories). The back cover screws off and the card is inserted in an analagous way to replacing RAM. There is usually one retaining screw and two connecters for the antenna. The two wires for the antenna run through beside one of the hinges and go round the display for maximum effect. The point beside the hinge is a point where the wires can become damaged. If you are near to the router the card should still function without the antenna.

When WiFi has been enabled (there is usually a hardware switch on the right edge of the laptop or a toggle key combination) a blue light should be lit above the keyboard area or the front edge. The exact features differ from inspiron model to model.

tom1590
11-09-2011, 03:42 PM
Issues found:
Problem with wireless adapter or access point: Detected !
Investigage router or access point issues: Failed
Reset the wireless adapter: Completed
Refer to Windows...: Completed

The button I believe you are refering to is my F2 combined button on the laptop, i toggled it and it did not resolve the issue, is there another button I'm missing? When I came home again, for the first 60 seconds it connected to the internet (wirelessly) only to stop and give me the above error when I attempt to trouble shoot the issue..

*BAH! I've found an old USB wireless link that I plugged in and IT works but Id still prefer to have my wireless card working on my laptop than have to use this thing everytime i want to link up, besides it takes up an extra USB slot.

I will continue to follow your advice I still haven't tried what you most recently posted I'm just updating my adventures and trying to give as much detail as I can.
HALP!

Paul Komski
11-09-2011, 05:14 PM
Which model is the Inspiron?

tom1590
11-10-2011, 01:03 PM
Inspiron 1545

Paul Komski
11-10-2011, 11:44 PM
There is no physical switch on that model. Just the key combination Fn + F2. When enabled a blue light near the power switch should be lit up.

tom1590
12-16-2011, 03:12 PM
Any other tips for solutions?
To sum up:
I have reformatted my computer and the Wi-Fi feature still won't work
I have toggled the Fn +F2 which doesn't enable my Wi-Fi.
I have to use a USB adapter in order to connect to the internet or use an Ethernet cable.
When booting up there is a brief period in which I will have wireless connection, after that it will either be Limited Access or none at all.

Paul Komski
12-16-2011, 09:21 PM
At this stage it sounds like the card itself is faulty; either that or the antenna wires that run round the display.