PDA

View Full Version : Bookmark icons missing

FTT
11-14-2011, 11:09 PM
Not all, but several icons in my Bookmarks for Firefox have disappeared lately. At first it was my home PC (WinXP Pro). I'm on my laptop (WinXP Home) away from home now and after updating FF to version 8, lots of icons are missing just like I noticed earlier at home on my Desktop.

I don't think deleting cookies is going to change much in this scenario. Anybody notice anything similar as of late?

They are just square box outlines..

Paul Komski
11-15-2011, 12:35 AM
Maybe some setting (eg Bookmarks Toolbar not enabled) has changed along with the new version.

If nothing else the bookmarks would normally be backed-up automatically in a folder called bookmarkbackups (http://mozilla.gunnars.net/firefox_bookmarks_tutorial.html).

FTT
11-15-2011, 07:18 PM
I just noticed pcguide' forum (as well as many others) has/have no icon in Bookmarks nor in the address bar. If I hover over the blank square in the address bar a bubble pops up and reads "This website does not supply identity information".

Could it be a cookie problem?

I'm now experiencing this on 2 laptops and my Pro PC at home. Eventually I'll figure it out but it's not on the top of my to-do list as everything seems fine. I have done some deep scanning on the home PC and it seems nothing malware related as all scans came out clean.

mjc
11-15-2011, 07:56 PM
Nope...it's the favicon under a new guide. PC Guide hasn't had a favicon for years now. I think, but am not sure, that there has been a change, recently, in the default icon for sites that don't supply identity/favicons and that not all themes/styles are using the new nomenclature/icon.

I remember reading about it being an upcoming change..

FTT
11-15-2011, 09:35 PM
Thanks mjc,
That's the "wordicon" I was trying to recall. ;) Sad thing is, their dropping like flies and the older ones still working are littered with empty icons in the columns and it just looks unattractive.

I recall a time when they weren't there, another when they were common, I suppose now they aren't worth using.. Oh well, I won't lose any sleep over it.

Paul Komski
11-16-2011, 06:43 AM
Once upon a time no favicon was used here and then one day, after having been prompted, Charles provided one. After the whole site last had a major upgrade it reverted to what it was like at the very beginning - with no favicon once again.

The reason that individual icons do and are able to show in the bookmarks columns is when the favicon image file has been downloaded into the browser's cache from the website in question. If the cache is totally emptied then the file that the bookmark uses is lost and just a blank (whatever is the default for the browser in question) takes its place. If you revist the site (assuming it still uses a favicon) then the bookmark icon in the bookmarks list should be refreshed and reappear.

FYI a webpage just needs one line of code in its headers along the lines of
<link rel="shortcut icon" href="favicon.ico">
The favicon.ico file can be any bitmap image but is usually one of standard size with the bmp extension replaced by ico - like all icon files.