PDA

View Full Version : install win xp

okeee
11-25-2011, 01:29 AM
i want to install win xp on a hdd which has already files on it.
if i install win xp on a partition with other files in it, are those other files going to be erased?
if i make another partition (in the partition with other files) are those other files going to be erased?

mjc
11-25-2011, 02:15 AM
The answer to both questions is MAYBE.

It depends on what is there, already. If there is already an install of XP you could install over top of that install, doing what is sometimes called a repair install and have a pretty good chance of preserving the files already on the drive.

Or if there is lots of free space you could, theoretically, just install it to what was previously just a data partition. But this assumes that the file system is one that is compatible with XP.

Also, both of those assume that you skip creating and formatting partitions as part of the install process. Neither option, though is not without risk. But as long as you don't format, you should be able to preserve the current contents.

For creating a new partition...yeah, it can be done, but it takes some proper preparation. You need to have plenty of free space, a clean,freshly defragged partition, either at the beginning or the end of the drive or with enough free space around it to 'slde' the partitions around. You will also need to use some other partitioning tool, then Windows' fdisk.

Paul Komski
11-25-2011, 04:10 AM
If you give us better details about what is on the drive in question then one can advise much more specifically. In particular please let us know whether this drive already has any operating systems on it and if so which one/ones. What matters most of all is that you have (or will have) a FAT or NTFS partition with adequate free space on it and a primary partition that is or that you can set as active to boot from.

With the exception of creating new logical partitions inside an extended partition one never creates partitions within partitions. Each normal primary and each logical partition is a distinct entity on the hard drive. The hard drive must be an internal drive or an eSATA drive in order to boot to Windows.

If you avoid deleting or resizing or formatting partitions then existing data should remain untouched.

Finally - is this the only hard drive in the system?

okeee
11-26-2011, 10:21 AM
there is no win xp installed on the hdd, there are 2 partitions, c:\ 200gb and d:\ 300gb. when i install win xp (NTFS) i want to change the partitions:
c:\ 100gb and d:\400gb. i want to install win xp on c:\ 100gb. and both partitions already have files on them, so what happens to those files when i split and merge some parts?

mjc
11-26-2011, 11:04 AM
If there is enough space on the 300GB partition, I would just copy all the data from the 200 GB partition over to it. Then split that one, install XP and then merge the free space...

But again, that really depends on what kind of files are on it, how much free space, what the partition is currently formatted as...

FTT
11-26-2011, 11:15 AM
Here's what I (would) do for a fresh install in a nutshell.

Considering you will be advised to back up all important files onto something else for safety sake anyway, that's exactly what I would do. Then I would verify many of them are working and intact. So with that in mind:

1:
Backup (copy) all important files and check several of each type to some portable media such as external drive, media cards, CD's/DVD's

2:
Wipe entire drive with Copy/Wipe

3:
Using the XP CD, create the desired partitions. Personally I would choose a smaller one for C:/ at around 20 to 25 gigs for XP especially if PRO. Less for Home ~15-20 gigs.

4: Format and install XP onto C:/ with XP disk Do not format D: or E: etc. at this time.

5:
Add chipset drivers as needed by looking in Device Manager checking for exclamation points clad in yellow. These drivers should be downloaded ahead of time prior to the work in progress.

6:
Add these in this order: (with installer already saved somewhere such as memory card)
A/V software of your choosing
Firewall
Additional malware fighters such as SpywareBlaster and SpywareGuard.

7:
Go to Windows Update and update all security fixes and SP's such as SP3

You may encounter some trouble installing an A/V if you do not already have the proper Service Pack so you may need to go to MS and install that first. How I do it on a clean install is to download SP# for Admins and developers so I have it at the ready without the need to go online with an unsecured machine.

8:
Download and install the newest versions of any relevant softwares that will be needed to utilize your previously saved files such as Foxit Reader for .pdf files, Open Office for .docs, VLC media player for movies, etc...

9:
Go to Disk Management to enable and format the unused space from the earlier partitioning. This is the completion of #4

10:
Reattach or insert the proper media to retrieve the saved files and use copy/paste NOT cut/paste or you will risk losing all if power goes out for example. Paste them into files with names of your choosing onto the storage partition(s). Check/verify to see if they copied over properly.

11:
Make a cup of you favorite beverage, sip away and enjoy your new fresh install of XP! :)

FTT
11-26-2011, 11:26 AM
I would not install XP on 100-200 gig partition because if ever there was a corruption that renders XP unusable, if you reinstall onto C:, any personally stored files there would be lost unless you booted to another PC with your drive as slave/secondary drive to retrieve the files before reinstalling on C:

Something I did not mention above:

You can remap where My Documents is located by clicking Start > right clicking My Documnts > Properties, and changing the destination drive letter. This way all of your documents from Word, My Pictures, My Videos etc, will all be sent to the data partition(s) instead of on C: which should be only your OS with very little else.

Paul Komski
11-26-2011, 11:37 AM
As mjc intimated - how much free space on the two existing partitions? If you can copy all of C's data onto D then I agree to just do that and then boot to the WinXP CD and just take care when you get to the partitioning part.

First delete the now empty 200 gig C drive. Next create a partition of 100 gig (or any other size up to 200 gig that you fancy). Then format that partition as NTFS (quick) and finish the installation.

Later on you can decide what to do with any free space between the two partitions.

I personally think it is overkill to wipe the whole drive - but that's just me.

okeee
11-29-2011, 01:58 AM
kind of you to make a guide,
about chipset drivers, are these drivers for motherboard? (asus p5q-e)
how do i get them?

Paul Komski
11-29-2011, 08:13 AM
Yes chipset drivers relate to the motherboard - but you will need drivers for all hardware that Windows does not have native support for.

If you can still access Windows My Drivers 5 (http://www.zhangduo.com/) can backup all the currently installed drivers. The quick option just backs up those that are not native to Windows.

Asus support for PQ5-E (http://support.asus.com/Download.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=P5Q-E&p=1&s=22)

okeee
11-30-2011, 02:30 AM
i found these drivers for chipset, which do i need?
http://support.asus.com/Download.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=P5Q-E&p=1&s=22

are these the same drivers as the drivers that were included with the asus motherboard ?

Paul Komski
11-30-2011, 03:46 AM
I would start with the latest version - but avoid any beta versions - for the time being anyway. The website versions should be the latest; they are likely to be more modern than the ones on the original CD.

okeee
12-01-2011, 03:10 AM
this is the file http://support.asus.com/Download.aspx?SLanguage=en&p=1&s=22&m=P5Q-E&os=17&ft=23&f_name=Intel_Chipset_V9111019_XPVistaWin7.zip#Inte l_Chipset_V9111019_XPVistaWin7.zip

and this the description:

Chipset (4):

Version 9.1.1.1019 Copy Link
Description Intel(R) Chipset Software Installation Utility V9.1.1.1019 for Windows 32/64bit XP & 32/64bit Vista & 32/64bit Windows 7.(WHQL)
File Size 5,71 (MBytes) 2009.09.18 update

is it the correct version? i couldnt find any information about beta.

Paul Komski
12-01-2011, 03:12 AM
No betas on that link but to answer your question - yes. Generally go for the latest version when more than one option.

okeee
12-03-2011, 07:02 AM
ok ill try it then.

are sata hdd easier to get broken other than ide? since it is normal that they fail after 3,5 years, and because i have been using ide hdd, and they run good for quite longer, at least 7 years..

Paul Komski
12-04-2011, 02:16 AM
are sata hdd easier to get broken other than ide?
I cant see why they should be.