PDA

View Full Version : Windows fakeshutdown

Timey
11-30-2011, 02:01 AM
Hi everyone, first of all i wanted to say thst i'm sorry about my bad english but i'm italian and i'm studying english For 3 years. I had a question, is there anyway to fake a system shutdown? What i mean is this, let's say that i'm running a programm on the computer, is there anyway to make my pc looks like it's shutted down when it isn't so that i can let the program run?
My dad keeps shutting my pc down even when i tell him that i'm recharging the ipad or whatever it may be.
Thanks.

Paul Komski
11-30-2011, 04:19 AM
You could detach the power and hard drive LCD wires from the mobo and it would tend to look shut down at all times. Other lights do show on some PCs such as the LAN cable and a light on the motherboard itself. Also turn off the monitor or detach the VGA/HDMI cable. A simple approach might be to set the screen saver to blank.

Timey
11-30-2011, 01:15 PM
Sorry i'm not really ac expert, if i detach the cable it goes in standby doesn't it? I alredy tried setting screensaver to blank. What'shard drive LcD?^^ thanks for your help.

Cuc Tu
11-30-2011, 02:41 PM
I think Paul meant the small LED (lights) on the computer that show it is on and the one that blinks when there is hard drive activity.

You could just turn off the monitor, but those little LEDs will still be lit...and there might be a num lock (number keypad) or other lights on the keyboard you can turn off.

Maybe just cover the lights with tape and turn off monitor?

Timey
11-30-2011, 04:00 PM
With turn off the mlnitor you mean setting a blank screensaver? Or there's actually a way to turn it off but keeping wifi etc on? Thanks again for help

Cuc Tu
11-30-2011, 05:01 PM
The monitor has an off/on button.

Or you could set a blank screen saver, but set the power settings to never (do not shut down hard drives or hibernate...)

Timey
11-30-2011, 05:21 PM
Oh yeah but i havE a pc, is there one there too?
P.S. If i have a program running is there any way to minimize the noise that it makes? Thanks again for help.

FTT
11-30-2011, 07:45 PM
What type of program are you trying to run in the background?
Antivirus, either online scan or full resident scan??
Downloading a movie or other large file?
Other?

Downloads or other programs running usually can't allow the system
go into hibernate or sleep although they can be set to automatically shut down (or hibernate) the system when they are done. Perhaps you can set things this way and explain to your dad that it will shut down on it's own when the "necessary scans/updates etc." are completed. You may even need to explain how long you expect them to complete, or the importance of not cancelling whatever it is being done.

Perhaps you elder is concerned with power consumption and is trying to keep the electric utility charges down and therefore chooses to shut your computer down if you are gone/asleep. The best thing in my opinion is to discuss it with him and find a middle ground. :)