PDA

View Full Version : Install Win7 - Format?

Cuc Tu
12-03-2011, 12:19 AM
New PC with OEM disc.

After hitting the install button, screen showing my only drive. I clicked advanced disc options, but Format was grayed out. The only button was next.

I clicked Next hoping some options would present, but it started installing.

I wanted to format the new drive, so I cancelled and rebooted...

But now, the PC boots and says BootMGR is missing, press any key to boot from CD/DVD, or ctrl-alt-del to reboot.

But I press any key and nothing happens, so I reboot and get the same message.

Now what?

And then how do I format the drive?

Cuc Tu
12-03-2011, 12:39 AM
OK, tried booting XP Pro disc, same problem.

Tried booting Puppy Linux - smooth as glass and I mounted the drive. Deleted two folders and page sys file.

Same problem with Windows. Cannot boot from install discs.

I think I can format the SSD in puppy, just not sure what to do in linux.

Paul Komski
12-03-2011, 12:56 AM
Assuming the hard drive is under 2 TiB and has an MBR then I would zero it (or else zero the whole drive or the whole of the first "track") before starting the Win 7 install. Even if you let it do its own thing you should be able to resize things from within Win 7's own disk management after the installation or - if that is a non-starter - resize/repartition using 3rd Party Apps.

Assuming the HDD is hda, you can zero the MBR from any Linux live CD using either
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda bs=512 count=1
(or if necessary)
sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda bs=512 count=1

To zero the whole of the first megabyte change the count value to 2048 or the bs to 1024k

Cuc Tu
12-03-2011, 01:07 AM
I found partition wizard and removed the partitions...it seems to be working again.

I guess formatting is a transparent operation.

Thanks for the help.

Cuc Tu
12-03-2011, 01:25 AM
OK, one more...

Do I need to enter a user name at this install phase? It's just me, don't need users or passwords.

I just want the thing to turn on like a regular old TV.

Paul Komski
12-03-2011, 03:28 AM
If it needs one it won't install without one. Any associated password can be omitted as one likes. With just one user and no password it should autologon but if left unattended may log-off when any screen-saver cuts in.