PDA

View Full Version : Disk Management

Cuc Tu
12-06-2011, 10:46 PM
I installed a new WD 2TB drive and went to make a 300GB partition and rest 1.7TB.

I am prompted to mount the disk 1 and then go to create partition in the disk manager (mounted as MBR). I only see three choices, Simple, Spanned or Stripped. I then read some stuff about dynamic vs simple volumes and how dynamic is not good, and that the 3 choices above only apply to a dynamic disk.

From here, I see that the disc is a basic disc by the label to the left. I can find no way to make a regular old primary partition...

Cuc Tu
12-06-2011, 11:05 PM
Well, I just made simple partitions.

first 300GB for faster file transfer for video encoding.

Middle partition for file storage

last partition for OS backup.

Cuc Tu
12-06-2011, 11:07 PM
question here.

My primary boot drive is 120GB with a 100MB reserved section. I wanted to use clonezilla to mirror my C drive, should I also do that for the reserved space?

And then, can I protect that cloned space from viruses? Or should I just run a backup utility and have an ISO on an external drive? I'm thinking that might be better...

Paul Komski
12-07-2011, 02:47 AM
Under Win7 the 100 to 200 MB reserved partition is a system partition that contains boot files and should be cloned in parallel with the main Windows partition. There is a way to hack the install so that this reserved partition is eliminated and for the files to then be included in the usual C: drive - but that obviously does not apply here.

I am not familiar with CloneZilla but either BiNG or BiBM or IforDOS from terabyteunlimited (http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/bootit-bare-metal.htm) would clone the two partitions. BiBM can additionally clone more than one partition in one procedure and leave out files such as the pagefile so that the resultant image file is much smaller.

I cant recommend the TBU utilities highly enough and the trial versions are fully functional. BiNG has been my #1 techie troubleshooter etc for a number of years and BiBM is steadily replacing that position - especially with newer and larger hardware.

Cuc Tu
12-07-2011, 12:03 PM
Thanks Paul. I think I will try TBU...