PDA

View Full Version : Gateway Hourglass/Delay Troubles

Corky20
03-22-2001, 01:44 PM
My Gateway 667MHz / 128mg RAM has the annoying trouble of giving me the hourglass (both animated and non) during simple things like scrolling through web sites and cutting and pasting. As a matter of fact, it takes forever to cut and paste a large block of text with the dreaded hourglass everpresent.

To add to the frustration, my MP3s constantly skip and stutter whenever the system thinks it's busy (which apparently is all the time). Even the text will freeze as I'm typing this while the system catches up and the MP3s sutter when clicking on any button.

I've set a permanent swap file of 400 Mg and changed it's role to network server. I've updated the video drivers, but nothing seems to help. Please let me know if anyone else is experiencing this, and if there is a solution.

BigBlue66
03-22-2001, 02:22 PM
Hi,

A couple things come to mind. How many programs do you have running in the background? Do the three-finger salute, ONCE, to check the programs running. End Task on everything but Explorer and Systray. See if that helps.

Additionally, you might want to reduce the size of your swap file. 100mb should be enough.

If you indeed have a lot of programs running at startup, and you are running WIN 98, go to Start/Run and type MSCONFIG. When the System Configuration Manager loads, click on the Startup tab and disable the programs that you don't need to run at startup. If you're not sure of what to disable, post a list of what is loading here, and we can help you with that.

Also, how often do you defragment your harddrive? It should be done at least once a week, along with Scandisk. Have you made any changes in your BIOS? You might want to check to see if internal and external CPU cache is enabled. Also, make sure that Video Pallette Snoop is disabled, unless you have a video card that specifically requires it to be enabled. If unsure how to do that, post back and we can help you with that.

Has this problem just started, or has it been present for a long time?

Try the above suggestions and if no success, post back and we can take it a step further.

Good luck.

Big Blue 66

------------------
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you in a court of law.

Randy_tx
03-22-2001, 02:57 PM
Wow......BB.......awesome info http://www.PCGuide.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

------------------
"As hard as a rock & dumb as a brick"...Windows CEMeNT

BigBlue66
03-22-2001, 10:20 PM
Oh pshaw, Randy. Tain't nothin there that you wouldn't have said. http://www.PCGuide.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

------------------
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you in a court of law.