PDA

View Full Version : Sleep not consistent

Cuc Tu
12-19-2011, 11:55 PM
The other day, I left my PC on with a Adobe Premiere Elements project open. I came back a couple hours later and the PC was still powered up, but the monitor off. A move of the mouse quickly woke it up and I was presented with the open project.

Today, after about 40 minutes finishing dinner and cleanup, the PC was configured the same, but this time it was completely asleep. A move of the mouse quickly woke it up, but I was presented a login screen.

I've turned hibernate off, but sleep monitor after 10 mins, HDD after 20 mins, and PC after 30 mins.

How do I ensure that the PC will sleep and require login?

mjc
12-20-2011, 01:02 PM
Windows sleep/hibernate functions have always been 'iffy' at best. Part of it is how Windows will calculate when to start timing to send everything to sleep. It seems as long as there is drive activity, Windows considers the machine 'active' and doesn't start counting down. But when the drives go idle, it will start counting down. Also some programs will send a signal telling the OS that the program is active and doing something, so the OS won't start the sleep countdown, either.

I've had Windows go to sleep while watching streaming video...so I have the sleep timers shut off completely on my Windows machine.

Other than setting it to require a password and manually sending it to sleep, I don't know of any way to actually assure that it will go to sleep.

W7 has a lot more options than previous versions, so you may need to play around with them, too (skip all the 'wizards' dialog boxes and click through to the advanced options...you get all of them in one place without playing a round of 20 Questions). One of the options is how long before the drives idle down...which should be some where between your monitor sleep time and the computer sleep time, if you actually want it to attempt to sleep at a specific amount of time idle. The same for any of the other options, like USB devices...all the times should be less than the computer itself. And wake up events...basically, nothing other the keyboard or mouse.

Then that will give you a pretty good chance of being mostly consistent, without manually sending it to sleep, but depending on the software running you may still have trouble sending it to sleep, automatically.

12-20-2011, 01:07 PM
I set my laptop to go to sleep after a few hours and the few times I've left it idle for that long, I've had no problems with sleep mode.

Maybe it's just the MacBook Pro running on Bootcamp drivers and Windows 7.

Cuc Tu
12-20-2011, 07:08 PM
Windows sleep/hibernate functions have always been 'iffy' at best...

OK, I think I recall this issue as being the same in XP. At that time, however, I had IE open. This time, I had the same program open doing the same thing. Maybe something was polling for an update.

Another odd one - this morning I powered up from complete off, and the GPU fan came on full tilt for about a minute. I think it spooled up when Windows came up. I guess that is the dust eject routine. My HP brings up the fans in full tilt consistently, but that was the first I had seen it on my Radeon 6970...

mjc
12-20-2011, 08:21 PM
On my machine (Nvidia card) the fan spins up until the OS drivers load. I think my son's Radeon card did that too, so I think it is a 'normal' thing, with the newer cards, because almost all of them have 'adaptive' controls on the fans and most of that is run by the OS drivers.

Paul Komski
12-20-2011, 09:33 PM
How do I ensure that the PC will sleep and require login?
Not quite the same as Sleep but you should be able to set a Screen-Saver and also check the box to use a password to get back in.

Cuc Tu
12-21-2011, 11:13 PM
I was going to make a new post, but...this is probably best contained herein...

I've noticed that my button assignments are also not consistent. For example, I've assigned that when I press the power button, the computer is to shut off.

Usually the PC shuts off when I press the power button, but sometimes it does not, no matter how many times I press the button.