PDA

View Full Version : Win 7 Desktop Icon

smith04
12-23-2011, 12:29 PM
In Windows XP I have always kept an icon in the quick start tray to be able to quickly return to my desktop where I have shortcuts to my frequently used aps and files.

I have been unable to figure out how to have the icon for the Desktop on the quick start tray in Win 7. I do have a Windows Explorer view of the desktop there but do not like it as much.

Any suggestions?

smith04

LochLomonder
12-23-2011, 02:07 PM
smith,

I'm assuming you mean the icon which will minimise everything and then show your desktop. This is easy to do in Windows 7. If you move your mouse to the very bottom-right of your screen (next to the clock) and hover it, you'll see it says Show desktop. Just left-click in this area and it will minimise everything for you.

Paul Komski
12-23-2011, 08:02 PM
There is a keyboard shortcut to do this that can be handy too:

Windows Logo Key + D

smith04
12-24-2011, 06:20 PM
Thanks guys, both ways are what I need.

smith04

FrankSG
12-24-2011, 11:50 PM
There is a keyboard shortcut to do this that can be handy too:

Windows Logo Key + D

Thanks, Paul. I've used Windows 7 ever since it's been out and I was unaware of that shortcut. But I'm sure there are a lot of things under the hood that I'm unaware of.

Paul Komski
12-25-2011, 12:16 AM
There are lots of Windows Keyboard Shortcuts (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/126449) that have persisted through the various versions but one generally only remembers those that one uses a lot. For me these are almost exclusively:-

The cut/copy/paste ones of CTRL + X/C/V respectively
The show the desktop one of this thread
ALT + F4 to close the current Window
Hold ALT then toggle Tab to switch between opened Windows
Toggle F11 to switch to/from Full Screen Mode
and finally CTRL + S to Save the current document (this last one can be a real "life saver" if one gets into the habit of using it when working on documents and the like before something happens to make one lose all the work before it has been formally saved).

I think most of the above have become favourites when one cannot for whatever reason use the mouse in a given situation. Knowing how to navigate with the keyboard when the mouse has ceased to function are other tricks to have up one's sleeve.