PDA

View Full Version : Strange BSOD's

Dagon
12-26-2011, 07:39 PM
Hello there! I am going to be getting a new computer as my current one is 5 or so years old but not too bad in specs. My only problem is that I am going to be giving this PC to my brother who doesn't have a PC. I would like to give it to him without any problems and currently I have one... A Blue Screen of Death appears after 12 hours or so everyday, But only after 12 hours otherwise it is fine. I turned on my computer at 12pm and and then at 12am, my computer starts to slow down drastically, I get all sorts of errors with almost any application, The internet seizes to work on the pc and sometimes even my mouse stops working the red light goes off and my PC freezes pretty much. and if I am able to click or use my keyboard to restart my PC the BSOD appears. After I restart my PC is fine again for another 12 hours or so.

Here's the BSOD screen:

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

The problem seems to be caused by the following files: rdbss.sys

The driver unloaded without cancelling pending operations.

If this is the first time you've seen this Stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to make sure anyn new hardware or software is properly installed. If this is a new installation, ask your hardware or software manufacturer for any windows updates you might need.

If problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. if you need to use Safe mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advance Startup Options, and then select Safe Mode.

Technical information:

*** STOP: 0x000000D4 (0xB3F30038, 0X0000001C, 0x00000001, 0x80502CD6)

rdbss.sys
Beginning dump of physcial memory
Physical memory dump complete.
Contact your system administrator or technical support group for further assistance.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just to note: This has been happening for almost a year now.

mjc
12-26-2011, 09:43 PM
Is this machine acting as a server? does it have network shares?

What antivirus is running on it?

Dagon
12-27-2011, 04:38 AM
It's not acting as a server as far as I know, And I use AVG 2012.

Dagon
12-28-2011, 07:31 PM
I am also running Vista Inspirat 2 could that be the problem? It's a Bricopack that makes XP look like Windows Vista. I tried to fix this BSOD this morning by inserting an XP professional CD though it's not the CD used with my computer. And I ran this command and put the XP pro CD in... sfc /scannow And my it seemed to have done something maybe replaced some files I don't know... But after rebooting and and starting my PC again my windows theme had changed to a windows 2000 look. As well as my wallpaper missing. So I uninstalled Inspirat and reinstalled it to get it back. I haven't had a BSOD yet but my PC has been slowing down which is usually what happens right before everything stops working and upon restarting a BSOD appears.

mjc
12-28-2011, 07:51 PM
Yes, Bricopacks DO change system files...

That said, the particular file referenced in the BSOD is one that deals with networked drives/shared drives. The 12 hr nature of the original post suggests that something isn't syncing correctly. And AVG has been implicated in some of the info I found, but it was an older version of AVG.

I think that the combination of the changed system files and AVG are not getting along. My suggestion...go back to 'standard', run an AVG update (make sure you are updating the whole thing, not just the definitions) see what happens. If it comes back, revert back and try Avast...(if you can't live without the Bricopack...if you can, then just run 'standard' XP).

Dagon
12-29-2011, 05:35 AM
I removed Vista Inspirat 2 but I am still able to change to the theme for some reason.... after removing the program in Add&remove programs... It removed rocketdock and some other programs that came with it. I'm gonna try and use an XP pro disk and see what that does.

Dagon
12-29-2011, 06:37 AM
Ok the XP CD removed and replaced some files and vista inspirat seems to have been removed. So now I'll wait till 12:00AM and see what happens if I don't get a BSOD with the rdbss.sys then it's definitely Vista Inspirat or a conflict with it.