PDA

View Full Version : Will pentium 4HT run windows 7?

agblanks
12-26-2011, 10:22 PM
Hello I have been out of the windows world for a few years and need some advice concerning an old PC i am trying to run as a server. It is a Dell Dimension XPS. I was wondering if it could run windows 7 if I upgrade the ram from 512mb (2 x 256mb) to at least 1 gb.

The computer specs can be found here:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/1195/3

If i am able to run windows 7, which I think I should be able to, can I run the 64 bit?
I opened up the computer and it has 2 straight up and down ram slot and 2 diagonal slots. Currently there is a 256mb in one of the diagonal slots and 256mb in on the straight up and down slots. What are my options as far as upgrading ram and what would you recommend?

All i really want to do is run this PC as a media server to the rest of my devices.

Any help is much appreciated.

LochLomonder
12-27-2011, 11:34 AM
If you're wanting to use this as a server, I would recommend avoiding the Win 7 route. While it might be able to run it, it certainly wouldn't be the fastest in the world with those specifications; far from it.

To answer your question about the 64-bit version: No, the Dell wouldn't be able to run this version, since you don't have a 64-bit processor installed in it.

What would you be looking to do with the server? Is it merely for sharing files on a network?

12-27-2011, 12:13 PM
The RAM is PC2700 DDR. You can probably just use XP or a Linux distro and both would run just fine.