PDA

View Full Version : Printers

karenr
03-10-2012, 05:54 PM
After 3 Canons which I loved, this Pixma MG5220 is a huge ink hog. I am looking for reviews for HP - Photosmart Premium Touchsmart or HP Officejet Pro 8500A. They are 3-in-1.

FrankSG
03-10-2012, 08:31 PM
Have you ever thought about re-filling? It's a big money saver. I've had no problems filling my black cartridges but not too much success with the colored ones.

PrntRhd
03-10-2012, 08:32 PM
One item, you can set the Canon driver to "save ink" setting and it becomes more frugal. Of course I personally go with a laser printer vs inkjet simply for the cost-of-ink issue.

FrankSG
03-10-2012, 09:35 PM
One item, you can set the Canon driver to "save ink" setting and it becomes more frugal. Of course I personally go with a laser printer vs inkjet simply for the cost-of-ink issue.

I certainly agree with that about using a laser printer. Because of a hobby that I have, I needed to purchase a laser printer some years ago. I was talking to my grandson who is smarter than I am when it comes to such things (actually, when it comes to a lot of things). I mentioned to him that using a laser printer was more costly because of the price of a laser cartridge. He said, "Grandpa, I'll bet that when you see how long the cartridge will last you, you will set it as your default printer." He was right. My laser printer is now set as the default printer.

karenr
03-10-2012, 10:05 PM
I don't mind using ink so much as having it disappear when I'm not using it. I really don't print that much but the color cartridges empty way too soon. I've heard lasers aren't as good for photos, and tho' I don't print many, I want good prints. So I'd like to stick with injet. I gather nobody here has experience with the HPs I was asking about.

PrntRhd
03-10-2012, 10:53 PM
Try the various laser printers to compare with your own eyes, don't just take some generic advice from several years ago.
Technology has improved, similar to how digital photography caught up to film cameras.

Surprisingly good printers are out there.

FrankSG
03-11-2012, 08:58 AM
I don't mind using ink so much as having it disappear when I'm not using it. I really don't print that much but the color cartridges empty way too soon. I've heard lasers aren't as good for photos, and tho' I don't print many, I want good prints. So I'd like to stick with injet. I gather nobody here has experience with the HPs I was asking about.
My inkjet printer is an HP DeskJet 1000 j110. It's one of their cheaper ones--actually it's their cheapest. Even though I don't use it very much, I can't complain about the cartridges.