PDA

View Full Version : Z68 with i5-2500k 2nd Gen or Z77 with i5 3rd Gen

CoolMarquis97
04-10-2012, 10:45 PM
I am in the middle of buying a PC at the worst time. Nvidia has decided to release the new GTX 6 series, Intel is releasing the new Ivy Bridge cpu's, and Gigabyte and others are releasing z77 mobo's. In want to build a really good gaming PC that is under 900. I currently have a decent wishlist with Gigabyte z68 mobo, i5-2500k, and a GTX560. Do you think my current wishlist is good enough to run any and all games or should i now update it?

hackerballs
04-11-2012, 08:05 AM
Welcome new member
Other than you could save a few dollars with an AMD cpu, I think it looks OK for a medium gaming rig. The I5 2500k is very overclockable ( have mine at 4.5ghz with air cooled) so I don't think you will bottleneck on the cpu. (if you could wait till April 23 when the Ivy Bridge is released, you could go for that but not real needed.....might be a month or two for delivery)

Try to buy a decent PSU.............650W 80+ certified brand name recommended ..........

The 560 is a decent card and has a bandwidth of 128 GB/s which should play games on Ultra or at the very least, high settings..........for a few years to come also.....always pick up a second card when they become cheaper and then really rock.......

Try to buy the MB that has 2 GPU slots for 2 cards...........check to see that it will function at least x8 x 2 with two gpu's in.........minimal loss from the x16 x 2

game on

CoolMarquis97
04-11-2012, 11:24 PM
Welcome new member
Other than you could save a few dollars with an AMD cpu, I think it looks OK for a medium gaming rig. The I5 2500k is very overclockable ( have mine at 4.5ghz with air cooled) so I don't think you will bottleneck on the cpu. (if you could wait till April 23 when the Ivy Bridge is released, you could go for that but not real needed.....might be a month or two for delivery)

Try to buy a decent PSU.............650W 80+ certified brand name recommended ..........

The 560 is a decent card and has a bandwidth of 128 GB/s which should play games on Ultra or at the very least, high settings..........for a few years to come also.....always pick up a second card when they become cheaper and then really rock.......

Try to buy the MB that has 2 GPU slots for 2 cards...........check to see that it will function at least x8 x 2 with two gpu's in.........minimal loss from the x16 x 2

game on

Would OverClocking it make it run games Better?

hackerballs
04-12-2012, 07:55 AM
No.............just for my own enjoyment as the I5 2500k will work just fine with no overclock..not a bottleneck for games

Mostly gaming is about the GPU card these days

CoolMarquis97
04-12-2012, 11:09 PM
No.............just for my own enjoyment as the I5 2500k will work just fine with no overclock..not a bottleneck for games

Mostly gaming is about the GPU card these days

Would buying 2 Gtx 560's runnning in Sli mode allow me to run most games with everything maxed out?

hackerballs
04-13-2012, 07:29 PM
for sure, lol, that would beat any single card made today (without some of the new features of ati7000's and nvidia600's

my 2 x 6870 games about the level of a 580gtx but does not match up to the nvidia 3d.......a different feature....2 x 560 will rock the world.....you would have no bottleneck at the GPU level.......MAX on ULTRA in BF3

hackerballs
04-14-2012, 08:25 AM
ps..............make sure that the MB you pick out has 2 PCI-e slots that will only drop down to x8 when both slots are populated.

some MB's drop down to x4 with second gpu card and that is not great at all.

buying on that stays at x16 with 2 gpu's is more expensive than you have budgeted for but you should be able to buy one which will only drop to x8.........hardly any loss there

CoolMarquis97
04-16-2012, 11:56 PM
So would the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti DS Superclocked be a better graphics card than the EVGA GTX 560 TI?

hackerballs
04-17-2012, 11:27 AM
totally your choice as they are both good cards.........superclocked means that they did it for you (overclocked it)................ but EVGA makes a damn fine card in that they also have a superclocked...... http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130610

The MB you pick out is very important for the future, way more important than any old GPU card............... http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128545

...........might want to look at a new one with PCI 3.0 for an upgrade in the future with all the new 3.0 gpu cards coming, would not hurt and the prices are about the same........it would not interfer with a PCI 2.0 card and you might get a super deal in 2 years on 2 x 680's..........just sayin'