PDA

View Full Version : what size ssd for windows 7 gaming rig?

stevenn21
04-16-2012, 10:12 AM
hi guys ive been plannng on upgrading my pc for a while now in fact i posted this a while ago: http://www.pcguide.com/vb/showthread.php?t=75163

i havent got round to doing anything but technology has mooved on since then.
my pc is running slow at the mo so this is a good excuse to buy a ssd for my rig.
i did think about buying 4 ssd's and putting them in raid 0 but i dont think i would get much more performance than just putting one in and using it for my os and games.
so my question is what size ssd should i get bearing in mind the larger the more expensive ( i could get 4 x 60gb (240gb) OCZ Agility (60 each thats 240) for the same 240gb on one disk would cost me 446.95 (but thats a Vertex 3 VTX3MI which is slightly better speeds).
so anyway should i just get one disk and put my os and games on that or make a raid 0 out of a number of ssd's and back it up weekly?
my applications annd media will be on 2 seperate 1tb hdd's
also if i put multiple ssd's in raid whats the application i use to partion off the fastest part(for the os and games)?
any suggestions?

hackerballs
04-16-2012, 12:08 PM
first off...........you would get no better gaming with a SSD.....it's more about the RAM you have........it would load the OS faster, load the game faster, write to the drive faster, etc. But as for playing............nope

Best is to get a fast SATA 3 SSD for your main boot and have a 1T/2T/3T ? HDD to load all your apps on....(games)

If you need more speed in loading the OS, then I would suggest a REVO drive $$$$$$$$$$$$.. http://www.ocztechnology.com/ocz-revodrive-3-pci-express-ssd.html ...and not use RAID............cause if one goes......they all go.........data loss and formatting again

Try to buy enough room for your OS and a few apps/games that you use all the time and want to boot faster.........I like the Sata3 120gig I have but have not run out of room with the Sata2 90 gig I have upstairs.........You could go as low as 60g but not 30g

buying multiple SSD's in RAID might be considered throwing money away, and like I said before......(last time posted)....... send me any extra parts or money that you don't seem to need, lol

about the slow PC you seem to have now........when was the last time you formatted? This might speed you back up to normal if it has not been done for awhile..........but this would have to be done on a new SSD anyways so you can wait till your purchase to do this...........

stevenn21
04-16-2012, 02:34 PM
so the OCZ RevoDrive 3 is a pci card with ssd storage onboard why is this better than a normal sata ssd?

hackerballs
04-16-2012, 05:08 PM
twice as fast reading and writing than a SATA 3 SSD