PDA

View Full Version : Help with a gaming pc

Suntrox
04-17-2012, 02:36 PM
I'm thinking of buying or building a gaming pc. I've never built a pc before and therefore would rather buy a prebuilt one. My budget is 1000€ which is roughly 1300$, but i can go up to 1700$ if it gets me what i want. i want the pc to run new games in a playable fashion for about 2 years and also to run bf3 on high or better. What sort of parts should i get, and should i buy prebuilt or try to build it on my own? (I won't even try overclocking anything on my own.)

I've looked around at the best i've found is this for 1 641$

Intel Z68 chipset-based motherboards,SATA 6Gbps,USB 3.0
Intel Core i7 2600K Processor, 3.4GHz
8GB DDR3 1333MHz RAM ,
1TB SATAII hard drive
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 570 1280MB Graphics Card
DVD burner
Antec Sonata III ATX chassis,
equipped with a 500W power supply, Windows 7 Home Premium 64b

VenomPC
04-17-2012, 04:15 PM
Located in the U.S. but will ship internationally. There are a few things you might need to consider. For what you stated as far as what you've found so far then I think the Sea Snake would be the closest to your budget, that is of course if you don't get a monitor with it. If it turns out you don't need any peripherals (speakers, keyboard, etc.) then you can save even more. Oh and actually I'm changing one of the options in the rig, instead of having two gtx 550 ti's in SLI it will come with a single 2 GB gtx 550. I believe single card performance is always the best choice with very very few exceptions, in fact I can only come up with two. Folding, and games that are really demanding in the PhysX arena (Batman Arkham Asylum) so having a dedicated PhysX card can be useful then. Anyway enough rambling, just go give it a look and see what you think. Oh PS I'm having trouble getting SSL installed so I'm only accepting PayPal at the moment. hxxp://www.venomcomputers.com/Sea_Snake_p/ssi7.htm

PrntRhd
04-17-2012, 09:06 PM
VPC,
Welcome to the forums, but you cannot advertise without getting prior approval from this site's webmaster, IXL.

Suntrox
04-18-2012, 07:03 AM
Located in the U.S. but will ship internationally. There are a few things you might need to consider. For what you stated as far as what you've found so far then I think the Sea Snake would be the closest to your budget, that is of course if you don't get a monitor with it. If it turns out you don't need any peripherals (speakers, keyboard, etc.) then you can save even more. Oh and actually I'm changing one of the options in the rig, instead of having two gtx 550 ti's in SLI it will come with a single 2 GB gtx 550. I believe single card performance is always the best choice with very very few exceptions, in fact I can only come up with two. Folding, and games that are really demanding in the PhysX arena (Batman Arkham Asylum) so having a dedicated PhysX card can be useful then. Anyway enough rambling, just go give it a look and see what you think. Oh PS I'm having trouble getting SSL installed so I'm only accepting PayPal at the moment. hxxp://www.venomcomputers.com/Sea_Snake_p/ssi7.htm
I indeed don't have the need for a keyboard/mouse/monitor. Also the 550ti doesn't seem to be strong enough to run bf3 properly and from what i've heard the sli capability isn't the most reliable of systems. And also the price would go alot higher with taxes and shipping. Any other suggestions?

hackerballs
04-18-2012, 07:16 AM
The best of very very few exceptions is the price you pay for your cards..........if it is cheaper to go with 2 cards than 1 more expensive one, then go with 2 cards. Easily replaced when the time comes. As long as performance doesn't suffer.........

Yes, you could try building your own, not that difficult. But if you are not sure, then just have a shop build you one...........should not charge more than $50 to $100 to build it for you as they are already selling you the parts.

I would buy a Z77 MB
I would not buy a "k" if I was not going to overclock.....but you might change your mind, buy the "k"
I would FOR SURE buy a better Power Supply....650W 80+ certified brand name minimum recommended
I would go with 1600MHz RAM
I would buy a SATA 3 HDD.......a SSD SATA3 is prefered for boot the OS and a HDD is great for storage
and that would be one ugly case that I would have to look at if in my home
nice graphics card but look at the new 600's series or the ati7000 with a new MB Z77

http://www.ncix.com/ go here and go to PC builder and toss parts around for your budget and see

Suntrox
04-18-2012, 09:06 AM
So i put together this with your help :
ASRock Fatal1ty Z77 Performance, Z77
Intel Core i7-2600, 4 x 3.40GHz, 95W, boxed
MSI N570GTX Twin Frozr III Power Edition/OC
Corsair XMS3 DIMM 4GB CL9-9-9-24 (DDR3-1600) x2
XFX Core Edition PRO 750W
Samsung SH-B123L BD-ROM, DVD-RW
ASUS Xonar DG 5.1 PCI
Intel EXPI9301CT Gigabit CT Desktop Adapter, PCI-Express
Antec H2O 620 water cooler
Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
Assembly with a one year warranty.

Would this build work and could i get around the same power cheaper?
I want to have the i7 processor because it should last me a while.
This build is just a bit higher than my budget but not by too much.

hackerballs
04-18-2012, 05:04 PM
that looks better....no hard drive? go with sata 3.............Intel EXPI9301CT Gigabit CT Desktop Adapter, PCI-Express? that MB comes with dual LAN already, not going to improve on that with a separate card, not needed

if you wanted to wait for the ivy bridge that is out on April 23 but ships "who knows when"...............it would give you 5 to 15 % better for about the same price

but this cpu would last 3 to 5 years and still keep up to games, in fact all good and the gpu's are replacable anytime....usually 2 years

you would like this setup, nice

buy a pretty case as you have too look at it for years, make it rock

Suntrox
04-19-2012, 07:14 AM
Thanks! I think this will do for now. And i'm going to buy this in late summer anyway so i will look into the ivy bridge thing. This is just me doing my research ahead of time so i won't be too dissapointed.

Suntrox
06-11-2012, 01:35 PM
Ok, so i hope bringing this back to life will work...
I didn't want to make a new thread as the subject is still the same.
So now my budget has doubled is size and I'm getting close to the purchase.
I've tweaked my part selections as ivy bridge came out and i can now afford a better graphics card.
Here's what I'm thinking of getting now:

Case:62,90€ BitFenix Shinobi Core Window, black

MB: 139,80 ASRock Z77 Extreme4, Z77

CPU: 299,00€ Intel Core i7-3770, 4 x 3.40GHz, 77W, boxed

Graphics card: 399,00€ KFA² GeForce GTX 670, 2GB

HDD: 114,80€ Seagate Barracuda Green 2TB, SATA 6Gb/s

Psu: 194,80€ Super Flower Golden King Platinum 1000W

Optical drive: 62,80€ LiteOn iHES112, BD-ROM, DVD-RW

soundcard: 43,80€ ASUS Xonar DS 7.1 PCI

Ram: 54,90 Corsair Vengeance Low Profile DIMM Kit 8GB PC3-12800U CL9-9-9-24 (DDR3-1600),

Cooling: 55,90€ Antec H2O 620 water cooler

14,50€ Installing drivers and os
49,00€ Assembly with one year warranty

-1655€ / 2069$

So my questions are is this build better than the last one?
Is this a good price for this rig?
Is the psu too big or too small?

hackerballs
06-12-2012, 02:55 AM
way better as now you can use the newer features of the MB with the 670.

one thing I would have built if it was my turn again is 4 x 8gig sticks for 32gigs total

power supply looks about right too me, nice

don't really need a sound card as todays onboard sound is rather good these days

good build

Suntrox
06-12-2012, 06:07 AM
My last problem is with the cooling. Is the water cooler enough to cool the whole system or should i get some fans/heat sinks or such?
And if i get fans do i need to buy heat sinks for the fans?

hackerballs
06-12-2012, 10:54 AM
if you have liquid cooling on your cpu, then you still need fans without heatsinks to circulate the warm air out of the PC.

the more fans the better, if you have enough fans then you might buy a fan controller http://www.legitreviews.com/news/4957/ or something like this if needed.........................make it positive pressure for your case..............(more fans in than out)

Suntrox
06-14-2012, 05:49 AM
Thanks for all the help! I'll get to ordering the pc now.