PDA

View Full Version : Adding more RAM

FrankSG
05-20-2012, 10:23 AM
I have a HP g7-1260us Notebook running Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit. The processor is an Intel (R) Core (TM) i3-2330M 2.20 GHz. I have 4MG of installed RAM. About the only thing I use my computer for is internet surfing and using MS Utilities such as Word and Excel. I don't play any games or use much photo editing. I can get another 4GB of RAM for only about $30 which would give me a total of 8GB. My question is about how much of a performance boost would it give me since my processor is i3. Since I already have 4GB of RAM, am I pretty much limited by the speed of my processor keeping in mind that I don't use my computer for much high intensive stuff?

jlreich
05-20-2012, 11:47 AM
I can get another 4GB of RAM for only about $30 which would give me a total of 8GB.
Most likely the notebook has two ram slots, so you would have to ditch the current 4GB and get an 2x4GB kit in order to upgrade. If it were my notebook I would do it without batting an eye. But I don't think you need it for what you use your system for.

Charles Kozierok
05-20-2012, 12:29 PM
Agree with jlreich. If you are mostly using light applications and rarely multitasking, you don't need boatloads of RAM.

FrankSG
05-20-2012, 03:34 PM
Thanks to both of you. I'll stick with my 4GB. It's no use spending the money if I don't need it.

saphalline
05-26-2012, 04:37 PM
I will play the other side of the field here and point out that if you have a single 4GB DIMM, then you are only receiving half the RAM bandwidth to/from your CPU. Whether or not you would notice this is another question entirely, but having dual-channel is technically better than not.

I assume your 4GB of RAM is two 2GB sticks?

FrankSG
05-26-2012, 09:57 PM
I will play the other side of the field here and point out that if you have a single 4GB DIMM, then you are only receiving half the RAM bandwidth to/from your CPU. Whether or not you would notice this is another question entirely, but having dual-channel is technically better than not.

I assume your 4GB of RAM is two 2GB sticks?
I thought I had two 2 gigs, but I was wrong. I did a Crucial and it said I have one 4 gig. Crucial even made a remark that it is better to have both slots filled. So, it appears that two 2 gigs would be better than one 4 gig. But,I think Iíll stay with what I have since Iím satisfied with the way my system performs. But who knows, I may change my mind some day.

saphalline
05-27-2012, 11:34 AM
If it works for you, keep it and be happy you have an empty slot. If you ever want to upgrade, it will be as easy as adding a 4GB SODIMM!

PrntRhd
05-27-2012, 03:53 PM
If it works fine for you as is, that is ok because it is your PC and your choice and above all it is your budget.

If RAM is added the computer can approach the maximum performance the engineers designed into it.

FrankSG
05-27-2012, 05:22 PM
I'm starting to change my mind. I think I'll get it if I can get the ## back from this computer:mad: . The manual says to loosen the screws on the panel and then lift off the panel. But it won't come off and I don't want to force it. I'll give it another try.

FrankSG
05-27-2012, 05:59 PM
I managed to get the cotten' picken' cover from the back so that I could see where the RAM sticks go. So I went to amazon.com and ordered 4 gig.

saphalline
06-02-2012, 02:59 PM
I'm starting to change my mind.I would also like to point out that there is some money in your bank account that should be in mine. If your bank account seems fine to you, then more power to you, but it would technically be better for some of your money to be mine.

Is it working yet?? :p

FrankSG
06-02-2012, 03:09 PM
I got it yesterday and put it in. It's working fine and everything seems to have more zip. Would have believed a few years ago that you could buy 4gig of ram for $17.00. Actually, who would have believed that you could even get 4gig.

jlreich
06-02-2012, 06:10 PM
everything seems to have more zip.
That's the dual channels kicking in. It does make a difference. :)

saphalline
06-02-2012, 10:13 PM
It's working fine and everything seems to have more zip.Uh-oh, now you have done it! This is like moving from dial-up to high-speed cable/DSL! No going back now! You have just condemned yourself to a life of cracking open all your systems to check RAM configurations!