PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft Critical Update Information

Beno
03-18-2002, 07:40 AM
Every 5 or so times I open up Internet Explorer, I get a message from Microsoft that says "Microsoft Critical Update Notification".
If I download the updates, they never properly install when the downloading has completed.

Does anyone know how to turn off the Microsoft Critical Update Notification feature???

Cheers

Beno

------------------
"Don't stop till you get enough"

ErnieK
03-18-2002, 03:03 PM
Hi there Beno
Go to "TOOLS" (IExp)and then Internet Options, Select ADVANCED and deselect "Automatically Check For Updates"

------------------
Ernie

Beno
03-19-2002, 09:03 AM
Ernie K,

That checks for Internet Explorer updates, not Windows updates.

I tried it however, but it still doesn't fix the problem.

Do you know any other method at all??

Beno

------------------

YODA74
03-19-2002, 09:24 AM
Start menu, pick Control Panel, and select System. Click on the Automatic Updates tab, then check either the "Turn off automatic updating..." or "Notify me before downloading..." boxes.

------------------
Death has come to our windows.

-- Jeremiah 9:21
(undoubtedly a Biblical reference to a Microsoft product!)

YODA74@windows-sucks.com

Beno
03-19-2002, 09:43 AM
YODA74,

I tried what you were doing but couldn't see it there. I am running Win98SE. I'm starting to agree with your comment about how Windows sucks!

Any other suggestions??

Beno

------------------

YODA74
03-19-2002, 10:11 AM
It should be in the control panel some where but if you can't find it try this,check your System Tray for the Task Scheduler icon (a tiny, red-circled clock and an appointment book). Double-click the icon and search the list of tasks. You should find an entry for "Windows Critical Update Notification." You can either delete it or set it to run less frequently,or just go into "msconfig" hit startup shut off task scheduler.

------------------
Death has come to our windows.

-- Jeremiah 9:21
(undoubtedly a Biblical reference to a Microsoft product!)

YODA74@windows-sucks.com

sea69
03-19-2002, 10:28 AM
go to control panel>> add remove programs, and uninstall it (Critical Update Notification).

http://www.PCGuide.com/ubb/wink.gif

[This message has been edited by sea69 (edited 03-19-2002).]

Beno
03-19-2002, 05:34 PM
Thanks SEA and YODA

That did it

;-)

Beno

------------------