PDA

View Full Version : Online gaming

kayden azagthoth
06-14-2001, 08:44 PM
Just out of curiosity, anyone in here into any online games? I'm interested in hooking up with a couple regular people to do some gaming. I find just popping into a game and playing against just anyone can be boring.

The only games that I play online are Command&Conquer:Tiberian Sun, and Unreal Tournament.

I'm not a real hardcore gamer. I don't spend more than 5 hours a week playing games. I just want to get together with a couple buds and have a good time doing some fragging; either against each other or as a team effort.

If anyone is interested, post here or email me if you wish. If not, just chat about some of your favorite PC games, or memorable online gaming experiences.

------------------
And all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be.

-Pink Floyd

bassvax
06-14-2001, 09:09 PM
Hey der Kayden, I just started doing Rogue Spear online and it is funtastic. I love UT, but have not played online as of yet, in fact RS is the only game I've played online...reason being I have a dial-up and the I max out at around 33k which proves to be 'fatal' for me gaming-wise...Not to fret though...within 2 weeks I "plan" to be cable modem surfing...maybe then I can do some fragging with you in UT.
Trust me on the RS...absolutely friggin' (notice the signature?) great game. Online you can do the deathmatch thing with individuals or teams or you can actually do missions off of the game CD in a cooperative action.
Have you heard anything (good or bad) about SWAT 3? I'm contemplating a new game purchase...suggestions? I'm a stickler for quality video though... http://www.PCGuide.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

Edit: From one Floyd fanatic to another...
------------------
Tango down!

[This message has been edited by bassvax (edited 06-14-2001).]

kayden azagthoth
06-15-2001, 09:15 AM
Hey bass,

I've contemplated trying out Rogue Spear, but I have the original Rainbow Six and I haven't been too engrossed in it. I suppose I should sit down with it and have another go to see what I am missing. I only played one mission and I didn't have a clue what I was doing. Setting way points...selecting team members and outfitting them with weapons and armour...I was totally lost on occassion. I guess that's where the term RTFM (Read The #@&%^*! Manual) comes into play!! http://www.PCGuide.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

I haven't played any of the SWAT series of games. They've always looked kinda nifty to me though. Here's a link that I dug up for ya anyhow...
http://www.gamesdomain.com/gdreview/zones/reviews/pc/dec99/swat3.html

It's good that you want to research your game a bit before laying down some cash for them. I do the same myself only I've spoiled myself and have more games than I play. So far my collection includes: Black & White*, C&C: Tiberian Sun and Firestorm expansion*, UT*, C&C: Red Alert 2*,
Age of Empires II*, Age of Wonders*, Mechwarrior 3, Diablo, NHL 2000, Rainbow Six w/ Eagle Watch mission pak, The Sims, Half-Life, Starcraft, Warcraft II, System Shock 2, and Everquest: The Ruins of Kunark. The * denotes that I have it installed on my computer and play them now and again. The only games I play a lot of are B&W, Tiberian, and UT.

I'm surfing the cable waves myself so if you end up going high speed, let me know and we'll do some UT! I've been playing that game for some time now and I'm proud to say that I'm pretty good. Better than average I would have to say. Although, I do have my days where I can't seem to shoot the side of a Skarrj Hybrid. http://www.PCGuide.com/ubb/smile.gif

As far as recommending a new game, I would say B&W bowled me over! It's a great all around game with few flaws. It gets kind of annoying to pander over every villagers' desires and crys for food, wood, etc. But it's fun to play 'God'. The game has sorta steep system requirements. I have a K6-2 500 and 128 MB of RAM and a TNT2 32 meg vid card and it runs okay for me. The game can run a little slow at times though. It's well worth the money and time to play this game.

...I'm not really good at reviewing games though. I just know if I like them or not. http://www.PCGuide.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

------------------
And all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be.

-Pink Floyd

bassvax
06-15-2001, 06:33 PM
Thanks for the link Kayden http://www.PCGuide.com/ubb/smile.gif Sounds like a decent game (SWAT 3), but I guess I'm spoiled by RS. Maybe if it gets real cheap I'll go for it. This Black & White...sounds like a RPG like FFVII or Legend Of Dragoon, or even Act Raiser. I enjoyed FFVII but couldn't get into VIII or IX...The upcoming movie looks cool...btw, I saw Tomb Raider before coming to work today...absolutely true to the game in my opinion...I'll tell you one item...at the start she is fighting and does a side flip just like Lara Croft does and still keeps the enemy sighted, she also gets the in-air somersault drawing her magnums in mid-air cool...the movie maitains game-like authenticity throughout, even as difficult as it would seem to transfer that stuff to 'real-life action' even with special effects.

Edit: I should be OK on 'beef' I've got a 1.0GHz T-bird on an ASUS A7V133 with 256MB Crucial CAS-2 RAM, an IBM Deskstar 75GXP 46.1 GB 7200 RPM ATA 100 HD (5 partitions), SoundBlaster Live Platinum 5.1 and ASUS 32MB V7100 Pure AGP video card-spoiled http://www.PCGuide.com/ubb/smile.gif I know
------------------
Tango down!

[This message has been edited by bassvax (edited 06-15-2001).]

yawningdog
06-15-2001, 10:48 PM
I e-mailed this page to a command& conquer junkie who might be interested. I myself am looking for e-mail chess partners if anyone is interested.

------------------
Make everything as simple as possible, but no simpler.

p47jug
06-16-2001, 01:28 AM
Well, Kayden I've been tryin' ta hook up wit someone like yerself on UT fer a wile. Jus sum friendly fraggin'. I'm not a great UT player even though been at it since it first came out. (I usually play the AI on the easiest settin'). But I git tired of playin' on line & gettin wiped out before I can find out which way is up. (Jus luv the sound a rocket launchers in tha mawnin'/evnin'/hell, any time). As fer as Swat 3 goes Bass- too real- makes me p--s in maw drawers thinkin' about that time when those swat boys busted in on my place.
Kayden, let me know if ya get any takers.

B. Kenny
06-19-2001, 04:05 PM
Anybody into Risk? I've been playing the board game with a bunch of lads all winter long (used to play it as a kid and stupidly gave the game away. It was in mint condition.) and just got a copy of Risk II. It's pretty good on all levels, nice graphics, anthemic music. It's not a fragfest, but can get pretty heated at times, especially if the dice are going against you or someone you've made a pact with screws you over.

One question. A friend lent me his copy before I bought it, and I tried to burn it, you know, just to see if I could, heh heh, and it wouldn't copy using disk at once. I then copied the contents to a temp directory and dragged them to a CD. This went smoothly and I then installed the game using the copy. The game wouldn't play with the burned CD but would with the original. Is there some kind of encryption on the original CD, and if there is, why hasn't the music industry used this technology to thwart the napsterites out there?

Cheers,

B.Kenny