PDA

View Full Version : Whats Next?

sea69
09-13-2001, 02:55 AM
After the recent events here in the United States, unimagined atrosities committed to a free country by religious zealots/terrorists, which will (and is only just starting to) affect the rest of the world as well..........

other questions come to mind.

We tend to ignore the obvious threats that we are vulnerable to.

The US, is a victim of it's own success. People who wish to do us harm actually use our own resources to perpetrate CRIMES and MURDER of our people.

This offends us deeply.

We have to become aware that there are additional threats which could be much more devasting. (not in physical impact as NYC) but in the long run even MORE dertrimental.

We need to be aware of the potential internet/computer threats too.

Hackers from other countries can cause MUCH more harm than bombs or jet crashes.

More damage can be done with properly executed computer commands these days than even atomic weapons.

we need to wake up.

------------------
sea1_69@hotmail.com

homepage (http://www.seanweb1.homestead.com/3.html)

[This message has been edited by sea69 (edited 09-13-2001).]

kayofcircles
09-13-2001, 12:48 PM
I, for one, am not ignoring it so much as not wanting to live my daily life in fear. When I was young, I was afraid of nuclear war..I was convinced we would kill ourselves off and thought seriously about moving to some dinky, "who will bother to bomb them?" country, but eventually realized that all the world would be affected so wouldn't be safe anywhere. Stopped fretting about it. Now we live in a world all connected by airline travel and trade and puters. The new and improved smallpox, or TB, or some unknown new disease could wipe us out in a matter of weeks. Some lunatic could make a bomb and stick it in a suitcase and start a war of unimaginable proportions...all gone, bye bye. We've all seen the financial markets go dropping and dipping without any particular "real" cause...we're at their mercy too. That stuff baffles me.

I saw on the news that the Albuquerque airport has instituted a bunch of new safety precautions, and I understand that. But your question of "What's next?" can also apply to what other "precautions" we begin to take, and thereby what freedoms are lost. I think that's just what the perps were hoping to achieve: loss of freedom, and loss of peace of mind. They cannot make me afraid to live my life, and I will not change my worldview because they exist under rocks somewhere..they are not in the majority, they represent no one but themselves. Let's try and keep a perspective on it..okay?