PDA

View Full Version : How do some people get by with doing crap work

CompWizard
09-18-2001, 12:30 PM
I just repaired a computer built by one of my competitors and its amazing how crappy some peoples work is.
Examples

1. Motherboard is only secured to case with 2 srews

2. IDE Cables are so tight from the board to the drives that the board is raised up from the surface

3. Heatsink is not on processor straight and there is about a 1/4 inch of the processor showing.

And then they sell this K62 500 system for $1000

C'mon, that is ridiculous. Has anyone else seen this crap.

mjc
09-18-2001, 01:21 PM
Yes, I have and to make it even worse some it has been in off the shelf systems made by major manufacturers. It seems that quality control has gone the way of the dodo, but really what does it take to make sure the heatsink is properly seated...30 secs?

------------------
mjc
Links list:Computer Links (http://www.dreamwater.org/tech/mjc/index.htm)

Celts are the men that heaven made mad, For all their battles are merry and their songs are all sad.

Whyzman
09-18-2001, 05:44 PM
It's the ago old quantity vs. quality! We've lost something to the almighty "Bottom Line!" I once had a conversation with a Factory Representative (the infamous Factory Rep) complaining about some high-end wallcovering that was shaded.

His words exactly: "If we do not get a certain number of complaints, we are doing too much quality control!"

It's a number's game pure and simple. Labor is expensive. Look at the price of scanners today. I pulled mine apart because the carriage is not coming to a complete stop when it returns from the scan. The circuitry is impressive. I called HP factory authorized service and explained the situation. I was told I would probably be better off to just purchase another since their per hour was $70.00.

The schlock companies tossing systems together weigh the cost of their assembly labor vs. RMAs...tossing must be a better return on investment than quality.

As an employer, it is difficult to find people who actually appreciate having a job. An employee who appreciates their job easily transfers into someone who is quality conscious. And, in today's climate, I'm sure those who do take pride in their work often find themselves quite frustrated when constrained by the "bottom line!"

In some ways it seem to be an "age" thing. Meaning, as you get older and have been burned, you begin to do the homework and are willing to pay extra for quality. Some, however, must just like the heat!

May all your dealings in life be win/win!

Whyzman

yawningdog
09-18-2001, 07:38 PM
I've seen hard drives secured with duct tape.

------------------
Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day. Teach him to use the net, and he wont bother you for weeks.

iisbob
09-18-2001, 08:34 PM
I've seen hard drives secured with duct tape.

LOL i once had a guy at a local PC shop tell me to do that when i inquired as to some drive retaining screws, needles to say i left.

I agree with the quality, and it flows over into the actual building materials themselves; have you ever tried to work on one of those HP systems Walmart sells? You have to be Mr. Plastic to get inside one of those things! http://www.PCGuide.com/ubb/rolleyes.gif

I've found it invariably much less expensive in the long run to build ( or have one built buy someone you know & trust ) your own PC. Not too mention how it teaches you things that later on help you in troubleshooting.

My sincere appreciation goes out to those employees who take the time to do the job right, i try to do that myself. I'll always remember overhearing an old gunsmnith tell my dad ( after repairing his shotgun);

" Even though you can't see the weld, i know it's there-and if it aint done right then that's a reflection on my skill and quality of work.

too bad that pride in craftsmanship is sorely lacking in alot of todays manufacturers. http://www.PCGuide.com/ubb/frown.gif

------------------
iisbob
"640K ought to be enough for anybody. - Bill Gates, 1981"
"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world." --Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

steveo
09-19-2001, 02:38 AM
One company I used to work for (for two weeks) vowed that they never sold used hardware over the counter and told me so repeatily. Then they would turn around and have me refurbish used pc's they took on trade-ins using...you guessed it, used hardware. Two weeks later when 80% of these pc's would come back because of hardware issues I was fired. I'm sure there's a lesson in there somewhere.

ranchdog
09-25-2001, 09:23 PM
The PC fabrication industry took it's lesson's from the Automobile assembly plant.

Quitting time and payday folks. http://www.PCGuide.com/ubb/frown.gif

------------------
......Indecision may or may not be my problem......
...... Kickin' A Rock....

GNA
09-28-2001, 08:48 AM
I agree it's hard to keep a focus on quality when it seems everyone else is going for the lowest common denominator. This quote from "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance" by Robert M Pirsig has nothing to do with computers, and, it dates from the mid 70's but it says it all;
"How much should one maintain one's own motorcycle? It seems natural and normal to make use of the small tools and instruction booklets supplied with each machine, and keep it tuned and adjusted myself...there is no manual that deals with the real business of motorcycle maintenance, the most important aspect of all. Caring about what you are doing is considered either unimportant or taken for granted."
Keeep up the good work guys, it is important and appreciated. Regards

------------------
GNA

Rick
09-28-2001, 10:22 AM
We all have had our horror stories with computers.
So I will add my own.
Working a friends system (His daughters) who lives 450 miles away.
I removed the case cover to find the Power supply was
1. Hot Glued to the bottom of the case http://www.PCGuide.com/ubb/frown.gif
2. An ATX power supply in an AT full size case.
3. Exhaust fan was blowing directly onto the Mother Board http://www.PCGuide.com/ubb/frown.gif

I never did get the name of the shop in Indianapolis that did the work for her.

------------------
To ERR is HUMAN
To REALLY screw things UP, YOU NEED a COMPUTER !