PDA

View Full Version : applying for job and blurb on Nafta

steveo
11-05-2001, 09:45 PM
Well today I applied for another PC job. That's make four this year while having three other PC jobs that I no longer have bringing the grand total to seven attempts. It's been a weird year that way.

Nafta...Soft wood industry in BC. First they had to deal with the 19% tax and today I heard something on the news about another 10% added to it. So in order to do business with the US in this area it cost Canadian soft wood companies 29% over and above costs. I'm no expert in Nafta but it sounds like a bum deal. The then Conservative government thought Nafta was a good deal for us Canucks. Guess we should've been paying attention instead of drinking beer and watching hockey. Oh well, we still have oil, fresh water and Bryan Adams. You can have Mr.Adams...please!

Lucias_Clay
11-05-2001, 10:08 PM
Well the problem as I see it is you are on the wrong side of the u.s.. Now if you were on the south side you might be o.k. Or if you owned a multi-million dollar business (like the one that I worked for) than you could just ship it down south and save millions in labor,taxes,ins.,and the like. Do I sound like a digruntled ex-employee yet? Now what you do get all your friends to contact their reprsentatives and have them do away with all the wage laws,safety laws, and any other law that keeps the employers from taking advantage of the employees and maybe yall can get an american company to move its factories up there. As far as Bryan Adams is concerened we have enough un-employeed http://www.PCGuide.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

------------------
"It's not my fault!"

Donna
11-06-2001, 12:51 PM
Steve,
That other 10% is just for some company's.The Company(slocan) that is in the town I am in is being charged another 19%. Some are as low as 6%.It is an antidumping tax. The states is saying that we are selling our wood to them at less than what it costs us to produce it. What a crock of bull.

steveo
11-06-2001, 10:44 PM
Donna:

Thanx for the additional info. Sadly I know little of the politics that exists between us and our southern neighbours.

A company I use to work for was highly successful in manufactoring firetrucks. We sold out to a huge company in Florida that in turn was owned by a bigger company that was owned by a bigger company and so on. Suddenly lots of money was influxed into our little company and we were building firetrucks of enormous size and cost (up to a million bucks per unit). Most of our sales now went across the border and even overseas. Some say the benefits of Nafta allowed us to achieve this new success in a short period of time (less that 12 months). The drawback was all our management positions automatically went to Americans who moved up here to use our company as a springboard to further thier own careers in the bigger, parent companies. Our guys got pushed down the ladder or just fired when they wouldn't accept the paycuts. When the economy went sour and sales dropped around 40 of us lost our jobs and we were producing 40 less trucks a year (down from our usual 125 per year). Now, they're a smaller company than before the buyout but the quality control is the best it's ever been. In hindsight I don't know if there was any real advantage as our profits were used to satisfy American stockholders and our bonuses were never seen again.

Donna
11-07-2001, 03:43 PM
I don't know a whole lot about the politics either,I end up getting so angry when i follow what is going on. But these taxes will greatly affect our family. Canfor is sueing and hopefully all the other Company's will follow.

kayofcircles
11-08-2001, 11:30 AM
Yep, Donna, can identify with "get so angry"...until Sept 11th, we hadn't watched the national news in months for that very reason. And my NAFTA soapbox is totally worn out from ranting off it... Just remember, please, that we Americans are pretty cool, and you Canadians are awesome, and I suspect there are some nice Mexican people too...but politicans everywhere are an entirely different breed who do things that make absolutely no sense. Maybe, just maybe, if we knew all the secrets they know, their actions would make some kind of common sense, but I sort of doubt it. Sigh... http://www.PCGuide.com/ubb/frown.gif