PDA

View Full Version : hard drive

TC47
09-02-2000, 10:01 AM
I am not sure if my hard drive has died or not. I have an AST Advantage 4066d. When I start up the computer it gives me MHz, RAM, System BIOS shadowed, Video BIOS shadowed, mouse initialized, power management features enabled and then a message comes up saying "operating system not found". When I use a boot disk and try to find C drive all I can come up with is A & B drive. It seems it is not reading the D drive (CD rom). I really don't know if I should be replacing my hard drive or if it is at all possible to do this. Any help would be much appreciated.

willygog
09-02-2000, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by TC47:
I am not sure if my hard drive has died or not. I have an AST Advantage 4066d. When I start up the computer it gives me MHz, RAM, System BIOS shadowed, Video BIOS shadowed, mouse initialized, power management features enabled and then a message comes up saying "operating system not found". When I use a boot disk and try to find C drive all I can come up with is A & B drive. It seems it is not reading the D drive (CD rom). I really don't know if I should be replacing my hard drive or if it is at all possible to do this. Any help would be much appreciated.
Hi sometimes a virus will do that ,, scan for virus's or use your rescue disk if you have it..

Charles Kozierok
09-03-2000, 11:04 AM
Agree with the virus check...
Can you hear the disk drive spinning up? Also, go into the BIOS setup program and see if it can be detected. If the drive won't detect and you haven't been in the box recently, it may be bad, sorry to say. http://www.PCGuide.com/ubb/frown.gif

------------------
Charles M. Kozierok ( ixlubb@PCGuide.com )
Webslave, The PC Guide (http://www.PCGuide.com)
Comprehensive PC Reference, Troubleshooting, Optimization and Buyer's Guides...

dale
09-04-2000, 01:31 AM
I have seen this happen a couple times with somewhat older system. The drive will get a case of "stiction". This is where the r/w heads in the drive are laying on the disk surface (which is normal), but due to a lack of lubricant in that area of the drive, the drive can't spin up since the friction of the heads are hold it tight. I literally have tapped the drive, even popped the side of the computer slightly a couple times to break the heads lose and it starts up again. You might have a loose cable inside, check both ends. If you do hvae a stiction probably, you might consider replacing the drive soon.

dale

TC47
09-04-2000, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by dale:
I have seen this happen a couple times with somewhat older system. The drive will get a case of "stiction". This is where the r/w heads in the drive are laying on the disk surface (which is normal), but due to a lack of lubricant in that area of the drive, the drive can't spin up since the friction of the heads are hold it tight. I literally have tapped the drive, even popped the side of the computer slightly a couple times to break the heads lose and it starts up again. You might have a loose cable inside, check both ends. If you do hvae a stiction probably, you might consider replacing the drive soon.

We had our hard drive tested and there is nothing wrong with it. I replaced the IDEE cable. The repairperson where we tested the hard drive said there were holes in our programs and that things need to open up windows were missing. Might there be a way I can get it up running and reinstall what is missing or should I just let the computer expert take care of it and pay for it?
Thanks for all your help.

dale

dale
09-04-2000, 12:47 PM
If your hard drive checks out, then I agree with the earlier advice offered which is to go into your BIOS Setup and go through the IDE Autodetect. Your BIOS has to be aware of your disk drive setup or it won't boot. If the BIOS sees the drive and your drive is working, then you will need to boot from your floppy drive and run "fdisk" to make sure its partitioned and that you have an "Active" partition marked for booting. Worst case you will need to reformat and reload windows.

dale