View Full Version : Changing a HD partition letter

09-26-2000, 03:51 PM
Does anyone know if it's possible to change the letter designation of a hard drive?
I've just recently got connected to my University's network which has a number of shared network drives. Unfortunately, one of them is called F, and this has replaced my F drive on 'My Computer'.
I'm sure its still there, but as far as I can see, I have no way of accessing it, as when I refer to 'F:\' the computer thinks I mean the network drive. All I really need to do is to change my F drive to H or something (my CD drive is G), but I don't know how, or even if it's possible. Help!

Charles Kozierok
09-26-2000, 07:11 PM
The actual drives can only be remapped if you are using NTFS.
The network drive should be easy to change to another letter though. But it depends on what your system is, and whether any software requires looking for it on that drive letter (pretty bad planning if so...)

Charles M. Kozierok
Webslave, The PC Guide (http://www.PCGuide.com)
Comprehensive PC Reference, Troubleshooting, Optimization and Buyer's Guides...
Note: Please reply to my forum postings here on the forums. Thanks.

09-27-2000, 07:56 PM
Thanks. I got it sorted. I managed to get the F network drive to change to K.