PDA

View Full Version : Failed HDD or IDE Controller?

Alec
09-27-2000, 08:39 PM
My 6 year old IBM PS/ValuePoint PC only boots up occasionally and sometimes hangs with "Drive C not found error". When it fails to boot up, the CMOS setting get changed to reflect that the boot process did not find a hard disk. When it does boot, the disk appears to be in good shape. It also fails after several hours of use with a error indicating that it could not find the C drive.

The PC has an on-board IDE controller and the only IDE disk (drive C) is a Maxtor 527MB. I don't have another IDE disk (all of my other disks are SCSI) to verify the IDE controller. I tried adding the SIIG EIDE Master ISA controller to the PC but this controller doesn't recognize the disk. What can I do to determine whether this is a controller problem or a disk failure (or something else?)?

Thanks.

Paleo Pete
09-28-2000, 01:13 AM
It's losing the CMOS setting because the CMOS backup battery is dead or dying. Open the case, find it, and replace it. It's mounted on the motherboard. Some will have a wafer shaped watch type battery, about the diameter of a nickel, some have a barrel shaped battery soldered onto the motherboard, and some have a DALLAS chip, which acts as a battery. Replace it with the exact same number if it's a DALLAS chip. It will have DALLAS and a number stamped on top, black and about an inch long and 3/4" wide. If it's the barrel shaped thing, you can find external batteries at computer shops that plug into the motherboard. Some motherboards have a jumper that must be set to tell the board to use the plug in battery. The wafer battery just slips out, the arm holding it down can be removed to change it out.

Fix the battery problem first, and then we'll try for the other stuff...Until you replace the battery, you're spinning your wheels trying to troubleshoot the rest, it may be related to losing CMOS settings.

------------------
If you had everything...Where would you put it?

Computer Information Links (http://www.geocities.com/paleopete/)

Alec
10-04-2000, 06:55 PM
Tried replacing the CMOS - same result. I suspect that drive C disappears from CMOS 'cause POST is not able to detect the drive or IDE controller.

Any more ideas? Thanks.

Paleo Pete
10-05-2000, 01:54 AM
Could be a conflict between IDE and SCSI. SCSI BIOS and the system's BIOS have a bad habit of fighting over who's boss. Temporarily remove the SCSI system and see if the IDE works right. If you use SCSI drives, it's best to go SCSI all the way. Just unplug the SCSI controller and try it out.

------------------
If you had everything...Where would you put it?

Computer Information Links (http://www.geocities.com/paleopete/)