PDA

View Full Version : Floppy drive or controller problem

Fra
10-05-2000, 07:27 PM
I cannot get the floppy drive to work after POST.
Post is carried out successfully and when the hard disc is disconnected l am asked for a system disc. l created 2 new start up discs and both sound like that they are starting to operate but then the floppy stops and the light goes out and hangs.
l checked the cable, pin 1 to red line at drive and m/b and twisted end to
floppy, even changed drives for one in a machine that l know that works.
The bios is set as below
drive A=1.44m, boot sequence= a,c,scsi, swap floppy drive=disabled, boot up
floppy seek= enabled
Onboard floppy disc controller=enabled, FDD IRQ can be free = yes, and then
set to "no" and made no difference
The m/b is a Chaintech 5AGM2 with a K6-2 400 processor.
Any suggestions on what the problem and cure could be?

Fra

Paleo Pete
10-06-2000, 08:36 AM
Only thing I can think of is a bad floppy controller. Check around and see if you can find a floppy controller card, and disable the onboard controller in BIOS, see if the floppy works then. If so, the onboard controller is bad.

Have you had any bad storms recently that could have send a major power surge through the power or phone lines? Power problems or outages? That could explain it. I lost two modems, a motherboard, 3 cordless phones, charger for an cordless drill and 2 answering machines before finally figuring out my phone lines weren't grounded and were letting lightning come in through the phone lines.

------------------
If you had everything...Where would you put it?

Computer Information Links (http://www.geocities.com/paleopete/)

jangolion
10-06-2000, 10:39 AM
yes i think the onboard floopy drive controller seems to be the problem i will go with pete disable the onboard the go into device manafger an add fdd controller to exist in all hardware profiles see if that works........ http://www.PCGuide.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

Fra
10-07-2000, 08:48 PM
Thanks for your help and advise, as suggested i'm going to try and locate a controller card.
It's nice to see light at the end of the tunnel even if it's a walk away.