PDA

View Full Version : Installing hard disk

allano
10-05-2000, 06:42 PM
I have a 10Gb hard drive on my 400mhz,P2,micron system Partitoned ,of course,C & D.(Maxtor).I am about to install another 20gb Maxtor drive.I want to use it as a second hard drive,not as the only drive.My 10 gb drive has a cdrom and a cd r/rw as slaves.It is using an ide controller and there is another slot available.

After reading the written procedures on this site and Maxtors procedures ,I guess I am confused.

Is it best to use the hd by itself on the 2nd Ide controller or should I mal
ke it a slave to the Primary.?

------------------
AO

Paleo Pete
10-06-2000, 08:41 AM
Install the new drive as slave to the existing drive on IDE 1, or Primary. Put both CD ROM drives on Secondary, or IDE 2.

Check all jumper settings closely, and make sure the existing drive is Master, and the new one is Slave. Same for the CD ROM's. One must be Master, the other Slave. Typically the drive furthest from the controller is set as Master on each channel. BIOS sees the Master on the primary channel (IDE 1) as the bootable drive.

------------------
If you had everything...Where would you put it?

Computer Information Links (http://www.geocities.com/paleopete/)

allano
10-06-2000, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by Paleo Pete:
Install the new drive as slave to the existing drive on IDE 1, or Primary. Put both CD ROM drives on Secondary, or IDE 2.

Check all jumper settings closely, and make sure the existing drive is Master, and the new one is Slave. Same for the CD ROM's. One must be Master, the other Slave. Typically the drive furthest from the controller is set as Master on each channel. BIOS sees the Master on the primary channel (IDE 1) as the bootable drive.

Thanks very much.I will do the setup this weekend .Let you know how it worked.I wonder,
will the cdr drives,etc still be regonized or do I have to change settings?I guess I will find out.

------------------
AO

Paleo Pete
10-06-2000, 10:55 PM
Shouldn't have to change settings, except that it might be a good idea to set both secondary IDE drives in BIOS to autodetect.

------------------
If you had everything...Where would you put it?

Computer Information Links (http://www.geocities.com/paleopete/)

allano
10-07-2000, 10:21 PM
Shouldn't have to change settings, except that it might be a good idea to set both secondary IDE drives in BIOS to autodetect.

Well,it would have worked fine.When I got into the computer,I found I have no slots left!I can remove my cd/rw unit and have a slot for the drive but now I have to find a way to hook the cd drive thru USB or thru My Firewire card and use the cd drive outside the computer.But,thanks for your great advice.

------------------
AO

allano
10-07-2000, 10:23 PM

------------------
AO