PDA

View Full Version : Bad sectors on hard drive

shuttle31
10-10-2000, 12:37 AM
This is the second hard drive that id developing bad sectors at a furious rate!! What causes these thing anyway??? There have been no power surges, the room is nice and cool, there are plenty of fans in the case. I don't understand. I pawned this baby (Athlon 800) a few months ago, and when i got it back, my $400 video card was fried and then it started on the bad sectors. Replaced the hard drive and the video card. I've had it back from the shop for only a few weeks and here we go again with the bad sectors. Someone please tell me what I am doing wrong! If someone could tell me what causes bad sectos in a hard drive, I would greatly appreciate it.

Recall
10-10-2000, 09:51 AM
Silly Question ...

Do you ever get any problems during shutdown of windows or does Scandisk seem to run a lot when you start up ??

Paleo Pete
10-10-2000, 10:07 AM
Bad sectors can be caused in several ways. Physical damage, such as being dropped or hit, can't be ruled out in this case, since it appears the machine resided in a pawn shop for a while. I would be asking them how they managed to fry the video card, by the way...Unless it was put on the shelf for sale, they're not legally allowed to use your property. And to fry the video card, they'd just about have to power it up...or open the case and tinker with it while not grounded...I would be asking them some pointed questions...

Magnetic errors can also crop up, and mechanical difficulties can also appear, sometimes after a long life of hard use, sometimes after a relatively laid back year or two. The read/write arm suddenly doesn't want to do its job too well any more. Sometimes you'll never figure out the reason. One of mine suddenly quit. No reason, no physical damage, turned it on and no hard drive...

Foreign matter inside the drive can also be a problem. The drive is usually a sealed unit, but if residue from tobacco smoke, or any tiny dust particles happen to find their way inside a drive, the platters where data is stored can be physically damaged, or the read/write arm gummed up. Unusual, but possible. Moisture could also be a factor.

Here is an article from the PC Guide (http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/geom/error_Read.htm) that describes better than I can some of the issues concerning hard drive errors, and how the drive tries to deal with them.

------------------
If you had everything...Where would you put it?

Computer Information Links (http://www.geocities.com/paleopete/)

Charles Kozierok
10-11-2000, 08:06 AM
A bad power supply can do this too.

------------------
Charles M. Kozierok
Webslave, The PC Guide (http://www.PCGuide.com)
Comprehensive PC Reference, Troubleshooting, Optimization and Buyer's Guides...
Note: Please reply to my forum postings here on the forums. Thanks.

shuttle31
10-11-2000, 10:42 AM
as a matter of fact, i am having problems with this thing recognizing the shut down sequence...it will cycle. It runs scan disk at every start up. I have asked the pawn shop about the fried video card, and of course they deny everything. What did I expect??? lol I'm ruling out hard usage or times of dormancy unless I wound up with a used hard drive in a new box. Right now my best bet looks like the power supply option will be implimented when we get the third hard drive. By the way Pete, what causes magnetic errors?? Might I have something close to the computer that shouldn't be there????

Paleo Pete
10-12-2000, 01:25 AM
Speakers or other magnetic implements can, but not often do, cause magnetic interference or damage to hard drives. More often it's floppies, which can be erased by a magnetic field from a speaker magnet or television. Ever seen a VCR or cassette tape eraser? That's all it is, an electromagnet. Floppies and hard drives work on the same magnetic storage principal.

------------------
If you had everything...Where would you put it?

Computer Information Links (http://www.geocities.com/paleopete/)