PDA

View Full Version : 5.25" External floppy Drive

Tony Prodger
10-11-2000, 06:18 AM
I have connected a 5.25 external Floppy Drive to my internal 3.5" Floppy Drive.

The 5.25" Drive was from an old Victor 386MX Computer with its own power supply and I vaguely remember drivers for it to enable it.

My PC tells me that the new drive is not installed and at bootup I am informed of a Floppy Drive B: Failure and invited to enter SETUP or press ESC to continue.

Does anyone know of how I can setup this Drive

Many thanks

Regards

Tony Prodger

Charles Kozierok
10-11-2000, 08:04 AM
You connected two floppies together? How exactly? What's the interface on the external floppy?
I probably just don't understand; but be sure to go into the CMOS setup and tell the BIOS that the new floppy exists.

------------------
Charles M. Kozierok
Webslave, The PC Guide (http://www.PCGuide.com)
Comprehensive PC Reference, Troubleshooting, Optimization and Buyer's Guides...
Note: Please reply to my forum postings here on the forums. Thanks.

Tony Prodger
10-11-2000, 09:05 AM
Originally posted by ixl:
You connected two floppies together? How exactly? What's the interface on the external floppy?
I probably just don't understand; but be sure to go into the CMOS setup and tell the BIOS that the new floppy exists.

I connected via the ribbon cable from the 3.5" Floppy drive, adding the external drive and then connecting to the controller.
I have told the bios that there is a 5.25" Floppy drive connected.

Thanks

daves_22
10-13-2000, 11:39 AM
It sounds like there may be the same interfacing problems I'm having with a portable rack for a hard drive. It most likely isnt a problem with the connectors, but what the drive does with the connectors. For one, thats why a specific river for the floppy drive was made. Secondly, you need to make sure that the cable that originally had the drive connected to the 386 is not a special cable. I would guess that your problem is either of these or even both of these possible problems. If you have an ordinary 5.25" drive, and you connect it to a cable built for a 3.5 and a 5.25 , then you could make your own interface for it, and use a separate power supply to power it. Now my suggestion, For starters, check your documentation to make sure you don't have the 5.25" on the wrong connector of the cable. Basically, make sure your A: drive is an A: drive, and your B: drive is a B: drive. Check the documentation to see if you need to set anything in the bios. Third, if this stuff ain't cutting it, go to tiger direct or computability's website, and order the $40-$60 external floppy that connects to the parallel port. Good luck .