PDA

View Full Version : BIOS first detects the HD but then it says "primary master HD failure"

nilhe820
10-29-2000, 08:38 AM
When i try to boot my newbuild pc, BIOS first detects the HD as primary master and then the DVD as primary slave, but then it says "primary master HD failure"
You can see all the values of the HD (cylinders etc.) in BIOS, but there are no readings on the DVD. And when you choose autodetect to find the DVD nothing happens except that the readings on the HD disappears.

Paleo Pete
10-29-2000, 10:50 AM
Check the jumper settings on the hard drive to be sure it's set to Master. Some have a setting for Master in a dual drive system, check the drive specs and see. Check to be sure the ribbon cable to the drive is plugged in correctly, and the colored stripe should be oriented toward the #1 pin on both drive and controller. If you leave the DVD on primary IDE make sure it's set as Slave.

I would put the DVD drive on the secondary IDE controller, it will slow down the hard drive when set up as slave on Primary IDE.

If none of this works, and you still get the error message, chances are the hard drive is bad.

------------------
If you had everything...Where would you put it?

Computer Information Links (http://www.geocities.com/paleopete/)

nilhe820
10-30-2000, 09:29 AM
I changed so that the DVD is primary master now, and the HDD is primary slave. Not logical, but it works fine. My problems are solved. Thenks for you´re concern.