PDA

View Full Version : BIOS only detects Certain Hard Drives

lnz3
10-26-2000, 10:29 PM
I have an old Packard Bell computer(my problem right there?), I believe it has an AMI BIOS. The computer only detects certain hard drives, I've tried manually entering CHS settings...nothing seems to work. The only hard drive I seem to be able to get to work on it now is an old 1.275gb Conner Peripherals. I've tried different jumper settings, master\slaver settings ect. Computer is a 133MHz Pentium, 64mb RAM ect, Intel FX chipset...
Thanks for your help
~Matt
c3273@aol.com

rkmca
10-27-2000, 01:47 PM
Some of the old Motherboards have problem recognizing certail disk and have limitations of certain size. Check your motherboard and see if you can find any information from the maker of the motherboard. Also check Intel website regarding any information about hard drive limitation for FX chipset and motherboard.

------------------
RM

jangolion
10-30-2000, 11:58 AM
you should be able to go in the bios and enable LBA mode to detect larger drives as well as enableing auto detect to allow your system to recognize it as well as checking all connections, jumpers, etc etc if none of these thing work the next logical step would be to up grade the bios but lets see what happens first........... http://www.PCGuide.com/ubb/biggrin.gif