PDA

View Full Version : Help with New Maxtor

kalan
09-29-2000, 10:33 PM
I recently bought a maxtor 30 gig hardrive I pulled the old drive out installed the 30 gig..had the bios detect the new drive
everything fine so far...put in the maxblast softare rebooted..the maxblast diskette loads and it gives me an option to partition and format the drive..BUT in 15 separate partitions
ONLY I dont want 15 separate partitions..there seems to be no other options within the maxblast software..so I figured I'd fdisk the drive useing my win 98 startup disk and prepare the disk (fdisk and reformat)But when I fdisk it,create the whole drive and set the entire partition as active..I reboot and attempt to format the drive..I get an Ivalid media disk message
at the dos prompt..What gives here why shouldnt I be able to format the drive after I fdisk it..Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong here..I have installed 27 gig drive on this computer in the past and have none of these setup problems AHHHH!

Paleo Pete
09-29-2000, 10:42 PM
Personally, I would keep the partitions smaller in the first place. Maybe you can try setting up two or three partitions, and see if it works better. I would think you were dealing with a maximum drive size limitation, but you say you've used a 27GB drive in this machine before.

Try smaller partitions and see. Might have to do it that way. I can't think of anything else...If you run Max Blast it should give you the option of setting it up as FAT 32, and that would let you set partitions larger than 2GB.

If you prefer to used fdisk, go with smaller partitions.

------------------
If you had everything...Where would you put it?

Computer Information Links (http://www.geocities.com/paleopete/)

Charles Kozierok
09-30-2000, 02:55 PM
Is this the latest version of the MaxBlast software? If not, download the latest. If it is, check carefully for a setting to enable FAT32 support. The overlay seems to think you can only support FAT16... not good. http://www.PCGuide.com/ubb/smile.gif

------------------
Charles M. Kozierok
Webslave, The PC Guide (http://www.PCGuide.com)
Comprehensive PC Reference, Troubleshooting, Optimization and Buyer's Guides...
Note: Please reply to my forum postings here on the forums. Thanks.

BobC
10-09-2000, 11:53 AM
I just installed a 30gig Maxtor like you reffered to .
We didn't use the software that came with it rather fdisk.

In fdisk in the beginning is asks you do you want to treat the
entire drive as one partion .. You may have indicated yes to that .

I have 2 15 gig partions on my drive and it works great ..

Hope this helps .. http://www.PCGuide.com/ubb/smile.gif

daves_22
10-13-2000, 12:03 PM
Oh the secrets of partitioning your drives! You said you didn't want to partition into more than one partition. Well, yeah you really do. And here is why. This is alot like a filing cabinet and say a foot locker. Say you have tons of important documents, and you dump them all into one big foot locker. And say the locker get thrown around some, with the papers mixed up inside. So what happens when you want that paperfrom two years ago, you start throwing it all out until you find it and it takes you hours.
Now, say instead you have a filing cabinet. And you just threw papers from two years ago in the top drawer, ones from the last year in the second drawer, and papers from this year in the bottom drawer. So yeah, you look in the top drawer and find the paper a lot quicker. This is just like your hard drive. If you partition it, then it can get to the program, file, whatever quicker, because partitioning is limiting the space that the hard drive has to look in for the program/file it's hunting!

Now very quickly and simply, there are primary partitions, and logical partitions. What you want to do is set up two primary partitions. One to hold your operating system, and another to hold your logical partitions. Now once this is done, You can even copy an image file of your primary partition, to one of the logical partitions, and then if you totally crash your op system, you can boot to your a drive, insert the image file program, and reflash it to the damaged partition. Also, you can label these logical partitions and use them like big directories,organized by the type of programs/data they hold.
Two very good programs are partition magic, and drive image from powerquest. They give you a graphical environment and a easy to understand book to help make partitions. Also it lets you resize, create, without destroying the data like fdisk does. And the speed is definately noticable. Good luck, hope this helped you.
Dave S.

BarbM
10-23-2000, 03:58 PM
I just had the same problem with a Maxtor 20 gig drive. I did exactly the same thing and got the same "invalid media" message. I can run Fdisk and repartition the drive but I can't boot to the floppy drive to format the partition. E-Z Bios loads and asks to select a: or c: drive I select A: with win98 boot disk and it says "no os" and I'm done. I want to get rid of e-z bios and go back to square 1 but I'm not sure how. I can boot to the maxblast disk in the floppy but nothing else. Anyone have any words of wisdom? I tried Maxtor's website but all the tech support help files are offline.

Paleo Pete
10-24-2000, 01:11 AM
BarbM Try booting to the Maxtor disk, then at the command prompt swap to the win98 Start Up disk and type:
fdisk /mbr That should rewrite the Master Boot Record. Then fdisk and repartition.

You might also try and make a new Win98 Start Up disk on a friend's computer, I know of no reason it shouldn't boot to that disk to start with, unless it's a corrupt or bad disk, which happens often enough. Try that first, and do the same thing, use the command I posted above to rewrite the Master Boot Record. Then fdisk the hard drive and that should take care of the Dynamic Drive Overlay. Reboot after deleting the existing partition, keeping the Start Up disk in, and make sure the disk is write-protected. Then recreate partitions. Format the drive before trying to install Windows.

------------------
If you had everything...Where would you put it?

Computer Information Links (http://www.geocities.com/paleopete/)

Daniel J Matthews
11-13-2000, 11:56 AM
Just go into fdisk delete all the partions and create 1 then format it using the Format C: command then install an OS and email for partion magic pro 5 for DOS and use that to make any new partions

Reid
11-17-2000, 06:57 AM
Some drive overlays can be very persistent and sometimes fdisk will not overwrite what it sees as a non-DOS partition. The following link has a debug script that can clear the partition when other methods do not work: http://www.firmware.com/support/bios/hdclear.htm

Before discovering it, I had used an early version of PCcillin which saw the EZ BIOS boot sector as a virus and I let it kill it.

------------------
rdrummond@thesimpsons.com