PDA

View Full Version : Can't play games! CD isn't identified.

cgoss
12-08-2000, 07:37 PM
The cd will autorun after it shuttles in. Then I can click play on the setup screen for any game. I can hear the cd-rom spool up, but then then it slows and the light stays on. The drive is an atapi 44x, manufacturer unknown.

Paleo Pete
12-09-2000, 07:25 AM
Open the drive and clean the drive hubs. They're usually black, round plastic, and the disk fits between them. When they get dirty the drive can't spin the disk and therefore can't read it, and it sits there and tries forever. Sometimes the top one is white...and usually it's fixed, the lower one moves to compress against the disk and spin it. If the upper one is mounted in a metal bracket you might have to remove the bracket. Be careful not to drop the screws into the drive, they're a pain to get back...been there, done that...

Use Q-tips and rubbing alcohol, don't touch the laser lens, or pour alcohol into the drive, and let it dry for about an hour after reassembling, before you turn the machine on.

------------------
Soon as I come up with all the answers...they change the questions!!

Computer Information Links (http://www.geocities.com/paleopete/)

cgoss
12-09-2000, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by cgoss:
The cd will autorun after it shuttles in. Then I can click play on the setup screen for any game. I can hear the cd-rom spool up, but then then it slows and the light stays on. The drive is an atapi 44x, manufacturer unknown.
Additional information
Games will run for the first 3 or 4 times I play them. After that the game cd will autorun after it shuttles in. Then I can click play on the game start screen. I can hear the cd-rom spool up, but then then it slows and the light stays on. The light stays on any time a cd is in the drive. The drive is an atapi 44x, manufacturer unknown.