PDA

View Full Version : Floppy Drive problems

jeschnei
12-04-2000, 09:55 PM
I installed a new floppy drive, it shows up in WIN98 but when I try to access it, I get an error message "A: Drive is not accesible, device not ready.". I have tried using a new cable and have lined up the cable in every possible fashion so I know it is not backwards. The only thing I can think of is that the controller is out, but wouldn't I get an error during the boot process if that was so???? Any help would be graciously accepted, Thanks.
Jason

Paleo Pete
12-05-2000, 06:01 AM
If the LED on front of the drive does NOT saty on constantly, it's connected properly. If it DOES stay on constantly, the ribbon cable is backward, flip it over.

Boot into Safe Mode and remove ALL floppy drives from Device Manager and reboot, let Windows find and reinstall it. See if that helps.

Check the BIOS first, and make sure it shows the correct floppy drive type, and make sure Swap Floppy Drive and Floppy Mode 3 are both disabled.

------------------
Soon as I come up with all the answers...they change the questions!!

Computer Information Links (http://www.geocities.com/paleopete/)

jeschnei
12-09-2000, 02:48 PM
OK. I tried all of those things and I still am having a problem. When I try to access the drive the LED light comes on and i hear it spinning but then it comes back and says "a: drive not accesible.", the same in DOS, LED comes on and it fails to access the drive. Anybody have any clues, it is a brand new floppy so I don't think the drive itself is bad.

Paleo Pete
12-09-2000, 09:18 PM
Check and see if the cable is one pin off, and try another cable.

Even if the drive is new, it could still be bad right out of the box...not highly likely, but possible...

------------------
Soon as I come up with all the answers...they change the questions!!

Computer Information Links (http://www.geocities.com/paleopete/)

LeeV
12-10-2000, 12:48 AM
What about the drive that this new one is replacing? Was you having the same problems with it? If there was nothing wrong with it, have you tried reinstalling it. I've only had one computer that ever suffered a controller failure and it always displayed "FDC FAILURE" when it booted. If the old one works take the new one back, you probably got a bum one.

Lee V

[This message has been edited by LeeV (edited 12-10-2000).]