PDA

View Full Version : hard drive damaged

atb
12-17-2000, 07:43 PM
I have a 10g hard drive, which is split into 2, C and D. Recently, windows informed me an error message saying that drive D is seriouly damaged and may need to be replaced. After that error message, windows can't regconize drive D anymore, C is the only one showing up in windows explorer. I wonder if I should format the entire hard drive to fix this problem, but I have lots of data on drive D which I want to back up before formating. Is there a way to access the damaged D drive so that I can back up the data? Any solution to this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Thanx in advance for your help.

------------------
trance is the key to your mind

Rick
12-17-2000, 10:44 PM
I'd try Dos first.
If you can't see the drive in dos. Then check out some of the drive util.
on the market
Norton util. has a disk repair program that has work for me in the past.

atb
12-19-2000, 12:34 AM
Thanks for the response. I did try using Norton Disk Doctor to fix the drive, and right from the start, this program gave me a message basically saying that one of the partitions on my hard drive is inaccessable. To fix this problem, Disk Doctor will attempt making the extended partition table, and it warned me to back up all the existing partitions before proceed. I'm really lost right here 'cuz I've have no clue how to back up partitions. I guess I've got to ask my friend for help. For now, could you provide me any helpful information on backing up partitions or any suggestion on this particular hard drive problem.

Thanx a bunch.

------------------
trance is the key to your mind

Rick
12-20-2000, 08:12 AM
Didn't norton's disk doctor ask or at least try to create a backup / recovery disk or file for the partitions?

I have the program and every time I have used it.
It wants to make a change it always asks where to put the backup.

That is the only way I know of to create a backup.

Sorry I can't be of more help.