PDA

View Full Version : zip drives

Daniel J Matthews
12-13-2000, 04:10 PM
Im thinking of buying a zip drive to replace my lS 120 and i will be buying it in 100 & 250 sizes. I would like to know if the zip drive auto detects the disk like a CD-Rom Drive

------------------
Daniel J Matthews
Of Daniel J Matthews Home Music Editing

Age 13

Rick
12-16-2000, 01:12 AM
No They don't auto detect like a cd-rom
They work more like a floppy.

In fact most of the time you have to use refresh after doing a disk swap.

Daniel J Matthews
12-18-2000, 03:24 PM
Thanks

------------------
Daniel J Matthews
Of Daniel J Matthews Home Music Editing

Age 13

kenja
12-22-2000, 03:38 AM
As I recall, the Iomega utility "Zip Tools" has an option box for enabling auto-detect of a newly inserted cartridge (shows contents), but there is no auto-run.

kenja
12-22-2000, 08:38 PM
[Update]: OOPS, my memory is fuzzy. "Iomega Tools" was distributed a couple of years ago, but it doesn't contain an auto-detect function. The current Iomega software is named "IomegaWare" and is available for download from iomega.com (as well as some optional utilities). No auto-detect there, either (at least with my SCSI model).

My personal opinion of Zip 100 (and 250) drives: Very handy, but the media is (still) grossly over-priced. If you can afford the initial hardware investment, FAR better to get a CD-R. CD-RW is OK, but it's obviously slower to record, and CD-R media costs practically nothing after rebates.

Aside: If you're running your (boot) hard drive off of a PCI controller (for Ultra 33/66 or RAID) and your Zip is on a motherboard IDE connector, you'll need to disable the Zip drive in BIOS (change AUTO to NONE where disk geometry can be specified). Otherwise, your computer will insist that you insert a bootable cartridge into the Zip drive. With BIOS set to NONE, the machine will boot like you want it to, and Plug-and-Play will activate the Zip drive.

Conclusion: Zip drives neatly split the difference between floppies and hard drives.