PDA

View Full Version : CD-Rom Drive Won't Open!

TeChNoJuNKiE
12-23-2000, 06:32 PM
I took my computer to a friend's house about a week ago and when I returned home and set it back up I noticed that my CD-Rom drive wasn't working anymore. Whenever I press the eject button on the drive itself, the light just lights up but the drive doesn't open. The eject buttons in CD Player software and in 'My Computer' won't get it open either. Another thing is that I know I have a certain CD inside the CD-Rom drive right now, but in 'My Computer' it doesn't even show up next to the 'D:' symbol.

Any help getting my CD-Rom open would be appreciated, thnx... :)

TeChNoJuNkIe
gladding@pacbell.net

BigBlue66
12-23-2000, 06:54 PM
Hey Techno,

Sounds like the drive may be shot. In the front of the CD-ROM, there should be a small pinhole. Straighten out a paper clip and push it in that hole, this should pop the tray open. At least you will be able to get your CD out of it.

The same thing happened to a computer I loaned to somebody. When I got it back, the same thing was wrong with it. The guilty party wouldn't admit it, but I think they were trying to get the tray open in ways other than it was designed for.

Once you get the tray open and have salvaged your CD, close it and check in Device Manager for yellow exclamation points by the CD-ROM listing. Somebody may have deleted the driver, but that probably wouldn't explain the nonfunctioning tray. Also, check in the bios to see if it's listed.

Other than that, I don't know what else to tell you. It may be that the drive is shot beyond all repair.

Maybe some other people will have an idea or two.

Good Luck,

Big Blue 66

Rick
12-23-2000, 07:28 PM
I've seen drives act like that when a CD-RW disk was used and the adaptec drivers were installed off the disk.
Allowing a None cd-rw drive to read the disk.
Also my own cd-rw drive will lock the drive when I put a cd-rw disk in it that was created using DirectCD.
If I don't start directCD the only to open the drive is after a warm boot just as the Bios post checks the drive

TeChNoJuNKiE
12-25-2000, 03:02 AM
Some things have changed...

Since last post, I've noticed that the CD-Rom does open with the manual eject button...this happened however when I was on the phone talking with someone pressing the button repeatedly for at least 10 minutes...then just one time I pressed it, it popped open finally...

and then when it popped out i noticed i didn't in fact have a cd inside...so the not showing up in 'my computer' is all good...

but anyway...do u still think it's dead?

http://www.PCGuide.com/ubb/smile.gif

TeChNoJuNkIe
gladding@pacbell.net

BigBlue66
12-25-2000, 11:33 PM
That's a good question. (Don't ya just hate it when the answer to your question is 'that's a good question? http://www.PCGuide.com/ubb/biggrin.gif)

Anyway, the pinhole I was talking about is on the front of the CD-ROM, directly under the tray opening.

Does the reader still read CD's? Are there any conflicts in Device Manager? Could be that the drive is just dirty. If you peruse through some old posts that pertain specifically to CD-ROM problems, you may run across Paleo Pete's directions on how to clean a CD-ROM.

I can't guarantee that this is the problem. Due to the fact that the CD-ROM worked fine before loaning the system out, I would suspect that it was tampered with in an unhealthy way, probably from ignorance of the proper way to open and close a CD-ROM. OR, it could all just be a coincidence.

If it will still read or try to read CD's and there are no conflicts, try cleaning it. Otherwise, it's time to go shopping.

Good Luck. Post back with your results.

Merry Christmas,

Big Blue 66

rollinpark
10-22-2003, 06:22 AM
err hope some 1 answer this since this is an old thread. It seems that i am unable to get the audio cable out of the cd-rom. I try to pull it but still cannot get it out. Is there any secret way to do this. btw i have same problem cannot eject cd-rom but the lights flashes. Now want to get it repaired.:confused:

Budfred
10-22-2003, 10:29 PM
You can usually open it with the straightened paper clip like it said earlier. Once you do, try it and see if it works, it does sometimes. Getting it repaired is likely to cost you more than buying a new one, so you may want to reconsider the repair option. If you live in the USA, you can find a new CDRW for $20 after rebate almost every week.

If you want to discuss this further, you may want to start a new thread... this is a really, really old thread......:)