PDA

View Full Version : Fdisk

mjc
12-18-2000, 02:56 AM
I've just got to ask this question, it has been bugging me fo a couple of weeks now;
Back in November I had to reformat and reinstall. Well I have an Hp Pavilion (no jokes about getting a REAL computer, please) when I tried to use fdisk to setup my 10 gig drive into a couple partitions I couldn't use the restore disk. It would come up with things like "Not an HP. This disk is for use on HP computers only." So I had to undo the partitons and leave it as one big 10gig drive. This time I REALLY wanted to put W98 on its own partition. Yeah, used fdisk to make it one big partion again (before anyone asks)and then it restored. (3rd time sinc March 2000 1, power failure during defrag lost clusters that included some VERY important dlls (restore disk didn't work then had to wait two weeks for a new one) 2. My mistake 3. HD flakiness)

Anyone have any ideas why?

Rick
12-18-2000, 11:05 AM
You have now found out how HP spells proprietary.
But don't feel alone. Compaq is Just as Bad.
It's nothing more than a way to prevent boot leg copies of Windoz.
And prevent others from installing the wrong disk on the wrong system.
Again Proprietary drivers for one won't work on another.

* Also The cure all for Some Tech support *
just reinstall to cure all you wows . Ya Rite

Now If you want to partition the drive the way you want.
Grab a copy of Partition Magic or one of the other programs
on the market and make all the changes you want.
After you run the HP restore/install..

mjc
12-18-2000, 05:05 PM
Yeah Rick that's just what I thought it HAD to be but you never know... maybe I was just overlooking something.... well I guess I need to spend the $60 after all. No free (fdisk) disk partions after all.

kenja
12-22-2000, 03:11 AM
Yep, same deal with my Thinkpad, E-machine, and Compaq (Santa is bringing me the parts for my REAL computer! http://www.PCGuide.com/ubb/wink.gif ).

I use PowerQuest Drive Image or Norton Ghost for moving Win98 around (which I rarely do anymore, I'm a W2k convert; still use W98 for DVD playback (because it's smoother) and for making boot floppies).

Thank Goodness for Plug-and-Play!!!

mjc
12-22-2000, 03:45 AM
Yeah I was at HP tonight 'cause my power supply cooling fan keeps getting louder and louder and you should read some of the stuff that the HP techs come up with.

But I'm kinda stuck. I don't have anywhere to put a drive image; thats one reason I wanted to partition my drive. (you know windows on c: and everything else on d http://www.PCGuide.com/ubb/smile.gif but it just wouldn't let me. I am working towards building a real computer, it just gets me so mad that a large chunk of the price of a pc is for an OS that isn't really yours! Heck, at this rate I just might blow the dust off my 3.1 and dos 6.0 disks and use them.

------------------
mjc
I just can't seem to think of anything intersting to put here!

Paleo Pete
12-22-2000, 06:41 AM
Get a real computer!! http://www.PCGuide.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

Somebody had to do it...

Just kidding, of course...

------------------
Soon as I come up with all the answers...they change the questions!!

Computer Information Links (http://www.geocities.com/paleopete/)

mjc
12-22-2000, 10:20 AM
If I knew then what I know now.

Hindsight is twenty/twenty.

And all the rest.

At least its giving me lots of experience troubleshooting computer problems.
------------------
mjc
I just can't seem to think of anything intersting to put here!

[This message has been edited by mjc (edited 12-22-2000).]

kenja
12-23-2000, 01:39 AM
So, H-P configured and sold the thing with a single (what used to be considered) huge partition?

I believe every restore disk I have (Emachines 366i2, Compaq Presario 5724, Thinkpad 1400i) gives me the option of either retaining my current formatting, or letting the restore program reformat my C: partition.

As I write this, I'm doing the CD Restore procedure on the Emachine, and after booting up on the CD-ROM, there are three choices on the "Microsoft Windows 98 Startup Menu":
1.)Restore Windows 98 - Will Format HDD
2.)Restore Windows 98 - Will Not Format HDD
3.)Boot to DOS Prompt from CD ROM

It is just a time-saver if you choose not to let the restore program reformat (if it's been previously formatted); my partition size that I created with FDISK (off a floppy) is retained, either way.

I'm able to create C: partitions that are either smaller (1GB) or larger (5GB) than the OEM configuration (I've got a 20GB aftermarket drive). The Win98 restore works, either way. Sorry about the H-P. (Big companies do dumb things: my 1999 model Thinkpad requires FAT16 on C: for the restore CD to work!)

Note: When I first got the Emachine, I tried to hack the restore CD. Didn't get far. I think you'd need to spoof the BIOS into reporting itself as something it's not. (I'd better be careful what I say; I live down the freeway from Bill G, and I don't want him to send his thugs over!)
http://www.PCGuide.com/ubb/wink.gif

Another thought: My PowerQuest programs (Partition Magic and Drive Image) were included with the eleventh edition of Scott Mueller's "Upgrading and Repairing PCs" book. I'm not sure what comes with the twelfth edition that came out last January. The programs are fully functional, but you can't upgrade them. (There is a slightly annoying bug with this version of Drive Image: a window pops up telling you the message log is full; press Enter, and away you go.)

[This message has been edited by kenja (edited 12-23-2000).]

sleddog
12-25-2000, 09:51 PM
Originally posted by Paleo Pete:
Get a real computer!! http://www.PCGuide.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

Somebody had to do it...

Just kidding, of course...

And a real OS for < $4! http://www.PCGuide.com/ubb/wink.gif

mjc
12-25-2000, 11:58 PM
Kenja,

You can partition and restore an HP hard drive but only AFTER you restore the OS first with the restore disk but you can't format, partition and then restore it (blank drive) The drive needs something on it that says hey this thing belongs to an HP computer or the restore disk won't even read (they've got one of the cabs locked so it comes up empty and Windows won't enter setup (precab1 I think). It has all has to be done in a very specific order (which of course HP just doesn't come out and tell you how to do it) or you might as well just leave it as a single partition or you'll be doing over and over again all night. Now of course if you add a second drive things will work in the normal manner (according to HP) but I haven't tried to restore to a second drive (don't have a spare to try it, but I want to just to see if it would work)

------------------
mjc
MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL

kenja
12-26-2000, 12:44 AM
I've only got one hard drive, the E-machine's OEM 4.3GB was removed. But (I think) I hear what you're saying; my IBM Thinkpad restore CD might operate in the same manner. There is a "secret" partition at the start of the disk that is invisible to FDISK. (I can look at it with Norton Disk Utilities.) No one answered my post on the IBM Thinkpad forum as to whether this partition was supposed to be there.

I'd like to check it out, but the Thinkpad is at the repair depot; hopefully the "1400i Whine from Hell" will be exorcised!