PDA

View Full Version : data cds show up as audio after long read cycle that locks pc till done

mr.ed100
12-20-2000, 07:40 AM
ok for some reason i cant read data cds burned or pre mastered [bought]! the cd drive takes forever to read the disc and after that they show up as audio. everything shows normal under config hardware nothing is showing "!"

latest firmware on cdr
creative cdrw 4224 v1.44
nothing new installed or deleted
aspi chk shows all green

adam_eddy
12-20-2000, 12:48 PM
This happened to me at work. Every CD I put in, registered each directory as an audio track. This was a regular CD-ROM drive though, not an RW. The IS Dep't tried everything and concluded it was a bad drive and replaced it. However, they might have had 100 other calls that day and thought replacing the drive was cheaper than troubleshooting it, so there is still hope for your drive.

Reid
12-21-2000, 12:14 AM
This may not help, but have you tried turning Auto Insert Notification off? Go to your Control Panel, double-click the System icon, then click on the Device Manager tab. Find your CD-ROM drive in the list and go to the properties page. Click on the Settings tab and there you will see an Auto Insert Notification box with a checkmark next to it. Simply uncheck the checkmark and restart your computer.

If you get TweakUI (http://www.softseek.com/Utilities/Taskbar_Start_Menu_and_Explorer_Enhancements/Shell_and_Desktop_Utilities/Review_32836_index.html) , it can disable audio and data play independently.

------------------
reido@my-deja.com

mr.ed100
12-27-2000, 05:07 AM
woohoo

fixed the dang cdr myself!

took it apart and reseated all of the flat ribbon cables. one of them wasnt in quite straight and after reassembling the b***h lo and behold it works!

really good too coz im too dang poor to buy a new one!

thanks for all the help