PDA

View Full Version : BIOS doesn't see HDD

cv
01-07-2001, 01:12 PM
If the BIOS doesn't see the HDD does it mean the Hard Drive is bad?
I tested with an extra drive and BIOS found it. So I don't think there is a problem with the Mother Board/Controller, cable....

Will the BIOS detect a HDD that hasn't been formatted??

jim y
01-07-2001, 08:29 PM
You don't say what the hard drive is but here are some guesses.
1: If the ribbon cable is in the wrong way around... The red side goes to pin 1 and some connectors have a molded lump to stop you doing this but... some makes of drive fit the drive connector the wrong way and you may have to cut the lump off the cable connector. Pin 1 (or 2 - it's at the same end) it usually marked on the HDs circuit board (or it may just mark pin 39 or 40 which are the opposite end).
2: There are jumper plugs on the drives circuit board (PCB) to select between master and slave. If you already have a device plugged onto the same cable, one must be master and the other the slave. If the other drive is a CD then make it the slave to the HD's master. If the other drive is your main boot HD then that must be the master and set your new drive as the slave. There should be a diagram of the jumper plugs printed on the HD but if not you can find the makers website and probably download the manual...or guess (You won't break anything).
3: It's rare these days, but the drive could be faulty. If the power plug is in it should be heard to spin when you power up, no matter what you do with the cable etc.
Good luck!

Paleo Pete
01-07-2001, 10:59 PM
In addition to the above, BIOS should have no trouble seeing a hard drive that's not formatted. It can't be formatted until the BIOS sees it and the machine can therefore use it...so the BIOS has to be able to see it, formatted or not.

Check those jumper settings, I think that's most likely.

------------------
My hairdresser charges me a finder's fee!!

Please post your questions on the forums, not in my email.

Computer Information Links (http://www.geocities.com/paleopete/)

PostCode
01-12-2001, 10:47 AM
Motherboard manufacturers are getting better at this. A lot that are being produced will not even attempt to boot if the ribbon cable is connected backwards to the drive or the controller. Alas, some aren't that good yet. Just a little piece of information to remember. If the cable is connected backwards, with a lot of newer boards, the system will not even attempt to boot. Hope this helps.

------------------
Eric's BIOS Post Codes (http://www.webenet.net/~ntuser)