PDA

View Full Version : moving a HD

LazyLinus
01-13-2001, 11:57 AM
I recently got a better computer, and switched over some component without to many problems. What I want to do is move my old HD over to the new comp, and set it up as the IDE primary slave. I don't have any questions about the actual installation, but what can I safely delete from the old drive? I plan on using the OS(98SE) on the new drive, so can I zap the OS and the other system files on the old drive? Both drives are only 3 GB in size, and I want to use the new drive for games only while keeping the old one for regular use. Is this possible? Doable, without to many problems? Or should a just reformat the old drive and reinstall all the software?
Thanks in advance.

Paleo Pete
01-14-2001, 08:12 AM
If you are moving the drive to a new computer it's always best to have a clean install, due to possible problems related to motherboard specific drivers etc. I'm not sure exactly what you're trying to do, but it's always best to install the OS to C drive, which will be on the Primary IDE channel, and therefore the new drive.

You can partition the new drive into multiple partitions, and therefore use one for the OS, one for games etc, and so on. I always prefer to keep partitions under 8GB. That keeps the OS and other programs, games in your case, on separate drives. It also allows a separate partition for backup purposes, or to save files that won't be lost if you have to format and reinstall later for some reason. The old drive can serve the same purpose.

As for the old drive, if you don't have anything you wish to save on it, such as documents, pictures, sound files, etc I would format it and install it empty. Don't use the /s switch, which copies system files to make it bootable. Use that switch only on C drive. If it has files you wish to save, install it then transfer anything you want to save to a partition on the new drive, then format it. I don't recommend trying to uninstall or delete Windows to clean up the drive. Formatting is best.

Any applications on the old drive you wish to use are best reinstalled fresh on the new drive, trying to copy them from the old one will most likely result in problems with missing registry entries and misdirected links. That's things like MS Office, Front Page, Scanner software, etc.

If you're trying to set things up so you can use the old drive, as slave, to run the OS, that's a whole new ball of wax, and generally not recommended, unless you're really good with computers...keep the OS on C drive.

------------------
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you!
Note: Please post your questions on the forums, not in my email.

Computer Information Links (http://www.geocities.com/paleopete/)

LazyLinus
01-17-2001, 12:46 PM
You can partition the new drive into multiple partitions, and therefore use one for the OS, one for games etc, and so on. I always prefer to keep partitions under 8GB. That keeps the OS and other programs, games in your case, on separate drives. It also allows a separate partition for backup purposes, or to save files that won't be lost if you have to format and reinstall later for some reason. The old drive can serve the same purpose.

As for the old drive, if you don't have anything you wish to save on it, such as documents, pictures, sound files, etc I would format it and install it empty. Don't use the /s switch, which copies system files to make it bootable. Use that switch only on C drive. If it has files you wish to save, install it then transfer anything you want to save to a partition on the new drive, then format it. I don't recommend trying to uninstall or delete Windows to clean up the drive. Formatting is best.

Ok, thanks. I was hoping to save some time and not reinstall Office, Photoshop and a few other programs, but then again.

Any applications on the old drive you wish to use are best reinstalled fresh on the new drive, trying to copy them from the old one will most likely result in problems with missing registry entries and misdirected links. That's things like MS Office, Front Page, Scanner software, etc.

That's what I thought, rats!!

If you're trying to set things up so you can use the old drive, as slave, to run the OS, that's a whole new ball of wax, and generally not recommended, unless you're really good with computers...keep the OS on C drive.

I'm better at this than your average redneck, but a long way from being a "pencilnecked geek." I did reformat the new drive(as the primary master), installed the OS, and updated it. Next is to copy the files I want to keep from the old drive, reformat it and set it up as the primary slave, and reinstall the programs.

Thanks for the answers.

scada
01-17-2001, 02:04 PM
At first glance I thought you were answering your own question. http://www.PCGuide.com/ubb/smile.gif