PDA

View Full Version : Help - Failed Hard Drive

rvrrat3
01-19-2001, 04:16 AM
I would really appreciate any help in recovering data from my Maxtor 10gB. It's less than 2 years old. I explained to the factory rep that it started making a constant clicking sound. (No prior warning). His diagnosis was complete failure. Same diagnosis from the three data recovery businesses than I contacted. Upon further inspection I discovered that there is a significant amount of black dust in the drive. Dust seems to be concentrated at the arm axis. Is there any hope of the dust causing the heads not to read? Any hope of trying to use compressed air to blow out the dust and get the darn thing to read just one more time? Data recovery service appears to be a minimum of $1000!!! HELP....

Paleo Pete
01-19-2001, 08:01 AM
Black dust inside the drive???

That means you have taken off the top cover. That's a sealed environment, removing the cover lets moisture and dust inside, even if there was none there before. Dust particles you can't see can destroy the platter surfaces.

I doubt if blowing it out would help, but I don't think it would make matters any worse, it's already seriously damaged.

My guess is you just scrapped the drive, even if data was recoverable before. The dust inside would imply that something has worn out and ground to dust, which would mean the drive is history.

You might be able to reassemble it and get it to run, but if you do, transfer anything possible to another drive quick as you can, it won't last long...

------------------
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you!
Note: Please post your questions on the forums, not in my email.

Computer Information Links (http://www.geocities.com/paleopete/)

Reid
01-19-2001, 04:20 PM
I have read that even a fingerprint or a smoke particle is taller than the height the head flys over the platter, so I agree that data recovery from your drive is very unlikely. See this link (http://www.hsi-lab.cise.ufl.edu/pc_arch/disks/basics.html).

------------------
reido@my-deja.com

Friends don't let friends load Windows ME