PDA

View Full Version : Don't wanna kiss my data goodbye!

essayons
01-16-2001, 03:24 PM
I recently upgraded my system by replacing the HDD and installing Win98SE (had Win95a). I took my old HDD and popped it into a Microtech hard drive enclosure (parallel port hookup) to copy the data back to my new HDD. Well, initially Win98 wouldn't recognize the drive format for whatever reason, so I took the old drive to work and copied it to my HDD there, so I could pop it onto CDs and copy it back that way.
I then got my home Win98 system to recognize the drive after all (it's amazing what a cold boot will do) so I brought the portable back to work and moved the data back on for the trip home. But when I tried to copy it over at home, some of the directory names had changed, and Windows (98 OR 95) didn't recognize them as holding any data (there was as much as 2.5GB of data in them to begin with). The name change went like this:
from D --> fro*d~1
from I --> fro*i~1

Now Win98, Win95 AND DOS cannot recognize these directory names as valid.
Does anyone know of a method (ANY method) of getting these directories back?!?!

Any pity, encouragement OR actual helpful information is appreciated!

hiredgoonz
01-16-2001, 06:27 PM
There is a program called Lost and Found by Powerquest that can retrieve data that has been corrupted, deleted or whatever...

And for recent purchasers of an apc backup system, a free copy is available, otherwise, it's $70...

If you just bought an apc, but *lost* the form, let me know, I'll send you the necessary information...

essayons
01-23-2001, 03:51 PM
OK, so I went out and got a copy of Lost & Found, and it worked. It locked up on the stage where it restored the Win95 long names, but it restored the data so I can at least view each file and determine if it's worth the trouble of keeping or not.

Thanks!!!!

Paleo Pete
01-24-2001, 08:25 AM
The reason for this is the copy software copies the filenames exactly as they appear, not as intact filenames. Therefore Program Files would now be Progra~1 and not translated back into the long filename format.

What you would need to do is copy them from drive to drive in DOS, and it should work, or use drive installation software, available from the drive manufacturer's website. It will copy all data from one drive to another in usable form.

------------------
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you!
Note: Please post your questions on the forums, not in my email.

Computer Information Links (http://www.geocities.com/paleopete/)