PDA

View Full Version : Lost my C drive!

mychair
01-24-2001, 01:08 PM
I loaded a game called Shogun and about 85% of the way through loading my Compaq laptop shutdown. When I tried to restart it just hung with a flashing cursor. I ran scandisk from an emergency boot disk, but it can't read the c drive. It reads d fine, but not c. It can see that there is a c partition, but gives me the abort, retry, fail message if I try to dir it or use chkdsk or scandisk on it. I tried using Macafee Utilities and it gets hung on a message that says "Boot sector of the logical disk c: <none>". I really don't want to reformat and lose my data. Anything I can do? I tried fdisk /mbr but that didn't seem to help either.
Thanks in advance

Reid
01-25-2001, 01:35 AM
One more step may be needed: At the DOS prompt, type SYS c:.
Let us know if it works.

------------------
reido@my-deja.com

Friends don't let friends load Windows ME

Paleo Pete
01-25-2001, 09:21 AM
Don't know if it will work, but scanreg_/restore might be worth a try too. Use a space in place of the underscore ( _ ). You might have to do this after running the sys command, to copy the system files to the drive.

One other thing, you might have run out of drive space while installing the game. If the sys command gets it to see the drive as usable again, boot back into DOS and run a directory command dir and see what the free space listing says. It will be at the bottom of the directory listing.

------------------
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you!
Note: Please post your questions on the forums, not in my email.

Computer Information Links (http://www.geocities.com/paleopete/)

[This message has been edited by Paleo Pete (edited 01-25-2001).]

mychair
01-25-2001, 02:39 PM
It is still not able to see that c: drive. I am wondering if I needed type something other than fdisk /mbr and then sys c:. When I type the fdisk /mbr command I never hear or see the hard drive working. hmm.
Thanks for the help

Paleo Pete
01-26-2001, 08:43 AM
It's not very likely, but you might try a new hard drive cable, the ribbon cable attached to it. If that doesn't work, I'd say it's a bad hard drive. The controller must be working if it still reads D drive.

Only other thing I can think of is try the drive in another computer, which might be difficult or impossible, or take it to a computer shop and have them test it.

------------------
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you!
Note: Please post your questions on the forums, not in my email.

Computer Information Links (http://www.geocities.com/paleopete/)

Randy_tx
01-26-2001, 04:07 PM
Uh oh.......sounds to me like HD failure as well. It is not unusual for a HD to die while reading/writing as furiously as it does loading a new program (if already weak)......how old is drive? If ya cant see it in Fdisk and cant see it in bios detect......it aint there usually!

mychair
01-26-2001, 05:26 PM
Thanks for the info!