Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: cd drive broke :-(

Exclamation cd drive broke :-(

hi when ever i try and play a game on my cd drive it says "D:\ is not acceable. the divice is not ready" i dunno what to do there is a CD drive in the etc .... HELP!!

------------------
    al was 'ere

I dunno why this is posted here should be in storage Troubleshooting afraid PETE will have to move this one.Pls read for the proper section to post.

------------------
    Death has come to our windows.

-- Jeremiah 9:21
    (undoubtedly a Biblical reference to a Microsoft product!)

YODA74@carolina.rr.com
    Want my weapons molon labe

Wow pete did you move this?????either that or something is going on with my puter???
    but any way while i'm here,Have you gone into the device mgr to see if you have any conflicts? Is the lite to the CD on all the time? does this only happen when you play a certain game?
    Make sure the cd is laying in the tray flat
    make sure that the door has shut completely

Press the Eject button, reseat the CD in the tray, and let the tray close. Wait to give the drive time to try to reread the CD.

From Windows Start, point to Settings and then choose Control Panel. Double-click on the System icon and choose the tab labeled Device Manager. Locate the CD-ROM drive in Device Manager, and check to make sure it reports that the drive is functioning properly.
    Clean the CD-ROM drive of any dust or debris. If desired, obtain a CD cleaning kit and use according to the printed directions. Retry the drive.
    if that fails
    Shutdown the PC, disconnect the power, and remove the cover from the PC. Ground yourself before placing your hands inside the case.
    Check that the plug running from the power supply into the back of the CD-ROM drive is secure (try a different plug from the power supply, if available). Also check the cable running between either the motherboard and the CD-ROM drive, or another drive and the CD-ROM drive. Make certain it's connected properly and secure.
    Replace the PC cover, reconnect the power, and restart the PC. See if the CD-ROM drive is now accessible and functioning. If not, it may be time to replace the CD-ROM drive.
    ------------------

YODA74@carolina.rr.com

[This message has been edited by YODA74 (edited 03-01-2002).]

hmmm any other advice?

------------------
    al was 'ere

right click my computer, click properties, click performance and see if it says it is operating in MS-Dos compatability mode.
    if thats no good try this
    restart and go into safe mode. When in safe mode go to the device manager and delete the cdrom controller, and delete them all if there is more than 1. Close device manager and restart the machine. If it goes back to the boot screen, tell it Normal. By the way what windows you running

------------------

YODA74@carolina.rr.com

[This message has been edited by YODA74 (edited 03-01-2002).]

errr how do i check (without sounding like a dumbass)

------------------
    al was 'ere

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNND how do i turn it to safe mode i'v done it before but cant remember :-(

------------------
    al was 'ere

You don't know what windows you are running? I can see were this is leading why don't you just take it to a shop apparently you cannot handle this situation, your not willing to give any information as to help in the problem? and quit smoking that stuff it's going to kill ya.

------------------

YODA74@carolina.rr.com

oh sorry i know i'm running widows normal. i got into safe mode but i kinda lost track of what to when i was there. :-)

------------------
    al was 'ere

lets go over this one more time,When in safe mode go to the device manager and delete the cdrom controller, Close device manager and restart the machine. If it goes back to the boot screen, tell it Normal.

And when I was asking about windows, I meant do you have windows 95a,95B,98,98se,Me,2000,or XP

and have you preformened all the other tasks I have mentioned?

------------------

YODA74@carolina.rr.com

[This message has been edited by YODA74 (edited 03-02-2002).]

oh sorry yeah its windows 98 .thanks

------------------
    al was 'ere

Thread Information