Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: Monitor colors

Question Monitor colors

Yesterday when I turned on my computer, all my colors were greenish!What could be wrong??

Most likely explanation: your video cable is loose or not inserted properly. Check it.
    If someone else had access to your PC -- especially someone under the age of 10 -- that person may have fiddled with the color controls too.

------------------
    Charles M. Kozierok
    Webslave, The PC Guide
    Comprehensive PC Reference, Troubleshooting, Optimization and Buyer's Guides...
    Note: Please reply to my forum postings here on the forums. Thanks.
    Charles M. Kozierok
    Webslave, The PC Guide
    PC Reference, Troubleshooting, Optimization and Buyer's Guides...
    Author, The TCP/IP Guide
    A comprehensive, comprehensible guide to TCP/IP protocols and technologies...
    Note: Please reply to my forum postings here on the forums. Thanks.

Blog Entries

Mine turns purple....wiggle the data cable from the monitor, where it plugs into the back of the case. Then check to be sure the locking screws on the plug aren't loose.

By the way, it's not the monitor I'm using now, it's the one on my Packard Bell P-60. Works great, but I have to wiggle the cable now and then because the plug refuses to maintain good contact. When it loses contact I get a nice purple tinted screen...kinda like doing acid...

Did I say that???

------------------
    If you had everything...Where would you put it?

Computer Information Links
    Why do I drive way out here to see the wildlife when all the animals live in town?

Note: Please post your questions on the forums, not in my email. Otherwise I may sic my armed bear on you!

My Photography

I've seen a similar problem occur twice on older monitors. Over time the foam padding on the inside of the moniter case/shell gets compressed and puts uneven pressure on the yoke (the small circuit board that plugs onto the end of the picture tube). This disengages one or more of the three color guns, causing the color to be off. I solved the problem by removing the padding in one, and by adding a little on one side to another. It could also be that the yoke is a little loose. You can gently push on the yoke (unplug that monitor first!) with a potholder glove as insulation. The only drawback is that this means opening the monitor case. The picture tube acts as a capacitor and carries a powerful high-voltage charge, even when it is unplugged, so be careful! The wire with the little suction cup looking thing on the side of the picture tube is the one to watch out for. If you are not comfortable with opening the monitor you might want to ask someone who has knowledge of TVs or monitors to do this for you. I use an insulated glove and gently apply pressure to each side of the yoke with the monitor and computer running. If the color comes back then you know this is the problem. Sometimes just bumping the rear end of the monitor case will cause the color to momentarily return to normal.

This should be considered a last resort measure. Exhaust all other possibilities before resorting to opening the monitor. But it still beats having to buy a new one. Be careful!

[This message has been edited by uncle_bent (edited 09-25-2000).]

Thread Information