Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: Monitor Viewing Area

Post Monitor Viewing Area

I just installed a monitor (slightly old one). The viewing area
    of my screen is too narrow, with 1-inch wide, black margins on
    the left and right sides. The dials on the underside fix everything
    else but do not expand the screen, to the left and to the right.
    Mouse does not expand the screen either. I would appreciate any
    help you can offer. Thank you.

unforunately, I can feel yoru pain, but I can't offer a solution outside of installing windows 3.1... I have two old 15 inch monitors like that, that only windows 3.1 will eliminate those black margins on the sides, no matter what resolution I set it on. Sorry, but you might just have to deal with it.

------------------
    Joe Redd
    MCP
    Joe Redd

Blog Entries

I'm afraid I have to agree, if the monitor controls won't resize it to fill the screen, I don't think anything can be done. Had to replace the monitor on my sister's machine for that reason. Changing resolution and refresh rates didn't make any difference, but you can try...be careful changing refresh rates though, and if it causes problems, boot into Safe Mode and change it back to the former setting.

------------------
    Soon as I come up with all the answers...they change the questions!!

Computer Information Links
    Why do I drive way out here to see the wildlife when all the animals live in town?

Note: Please post your questions on the forums, not in my email. Otherwise I may sic my armed bear on you!

My Photography

I think that is weird. If you install the wrong card while installing Linux you get that automatically. I had a old monitor I was using on a box and when I made wrong settings for it in linux setup I would get black margins up to 5 inches all around my viewing area. I had to get hardcore to get it right. I have a problem like that now: when I go to install linux 7.1 using that monitor I can't get past installation boot up. The viewing area shrinks to a 3inch sqare and it looks like it is set on a resolution my monitor can't handle. This only happens when I try to install linux 7.1 on this box.
    Any input??

------------------
    Stay alert, stay alive!
    Stay alert, stay alive!

Thread Information