Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: Purple Screen

Question Purple Screen

Hi Folks,

Right out of nowhere my monitor screen just went a medium shade of purple. I've never seen anything like this before. My computer is a brand new emachine T1140 but my monitor is an old Gateway Vivitron15. Of course the first thing that comes to mind is the monitor is toast. But what I was wondering is if someone can suggest a few troubleshooting measure before I put this dinosaur in the dumpster?

Any info would be appreciated.

Sincerely,
    John

Check the cable...if it had turned red, green or blue, I would suspect a bad monitor, but purple is usually a cable that is loose and not making proper contact...

If the cable can be removed, try a new one, if not, it may just be the connector. It could be a bad wire inside the cable, especially if cable is old and has been crushed or bent a lot...

------------------
    When all else fails, read the instructions.

Microsoft Knowledge Base

Drivers

Google
    When all else fails, read the instructions.

Microsoft Knowledge Base

Drivers

Google

UT OH It's purple and it's a Dinosaur/ I love you, you love me,were a happy family then a shot rang out and Barny hit the floor no more purple Dinosaur!

------------------
    YODA74@windows-sucks.com
    CCMR
    [*] PUSH TO TEST. RELEASE TO DETONATE.
    [Closed captioned for the thinking impaired.]
    Want my weapons molon labe

Unhappy

Hi Guys,
    I tried the cables nothing worked..All I can do now is quote Bones McCoy "He's dead Jim." Thanks for your time though

[This message has been edited by Novice_Nomad (edited 06-02-2002).]

Dammit, Jim, that's my line...hehe...

Hmm...that shot, that purple dinosaur....sounds good to me, too.

But before you send it off to that big ol' dumpster you may want to check for bent pins.

------------------
    mjc
    Computer Links

Celts are the men that heaven made mad, For all their battles are merry and their songs are all sad.

[This message has been edited by mjc (edited 06-03-2002).]
    AV, Anti-Trojan List;Browser and Email client List;Popup Killer List;Portable Apps
    “When men yield up the privilege of thinking, the last shadow of liberty quits the horizon.” - Thomas Paine
    Remember: Amateurs built the ark; professionals built the Titantic."

When your monitor display turns purple, it's usually the result of loosing the green electron gun. If you start out with red, green and blue and loose the green, you end up with red and blue = purple.

Once it's gone, it's gone. I've never seen one come back.

------------------
    Peace and Love, brothers and sisters. Peace and Love

Thread Information