Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: VIA H Motherboard

Post VIA H Motherboard

Hi Gang,

Recently bought a new DX4-100 processor for the POS on the kitchen table. Pete: it's the one you pointed me to at CSO. Anyway, went to install it the other night and it appears that the old processor is soldered into the motherboard? I yanked on it a couple of times, but no go. Additionally, the new processor looks a wee bit larger than the 50mhz processor that's in there.

I have been all over the net and can't seem to find a listing for my particular motherboard. Some help would be appreciated. I need to know if indeed the processor is soldered in (is this normal?) and if it will take a larger processor.

Specs are below. This is the best info I can find at this point.

Bios ID String: X0-0100-001121-00101111-021993-VIA-H (Note: All the O's are zeros, I assume)

Other numbers I found are on a square chip labeled VIA VT82C470. I am assuming that this is a Soyo motherboard but can't find any info related to this particular board.

Any ideas or links?

Thanks a heap.

Cheers,

Big Blue 66
    This space reserved for highly intelligent observations and witty remarks.

Effort & Courage are not enough without Purpose and Direction.

---- Auther Unknown

Blog Entries

You would come up with a critter that can't be found...

Wim's BIOS has a BIOS ID utility that might help, Motherboard Database has several older boards listed once you find out what it is...

Many older 386/486 boards did have the CPU soldered in, and you'll have better luck getting Clinton to admit he did inhale than trying to change it...

------------------
    If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you!
    Note: Please post your questions on the forums, not in my email.

Computer Information Links
    Why do I drive way out here to see the wildlife when all the animals live in town?

Note: Please post your questions on the forums, not in my email. Otherwise I may sic my armed bear on you!

My Photography

It's a FIC board, but unknown. Do you see lettering anywhere (typically between or around the PCI slots) that say PIO***? This is model of it. Hope this helps.

------------------
    Eric's BIOS Post Codes

Thanks Pete. What can I say? I will peruse the links you gave me. I know that somewhere I saw a model no. that was just a few numbers off from mine. I think it must have been newer and the maker was Soyo.

Thanks Postcode. Silly question: What is FIC? Also, this puppy has nothing but ISA slots, but I will try to find some numbers with the 'PIO' in them, as you suggested.

At any rate, I think Pete's right. I may as well get used to the idea that I am going to have only 50mhz. I did, however, manage to snag some memory from CSO that was indeed 4mb chips, (largest that I saw on their site) so at least the old girl has 32mb of RAM now. That did help quite a bit.

Cheers,

Big Blue 66

---- Auther Unknown

Exclamation

Follow up. Checked the motherboard site that you gave me Pete. I am closer than I was before. The board looks like it is either a 4386-vc-hd or a 486-vc-hd. Will have to check the layout a little closer when I get home tonight.

Thanks Postcode. You nailed it. FIC stands for First International Computer, Inc. and it sure looks like it's one of their boards.

Thanks a bunch guys.

Cheers,

BB 66

---- Auther Unknown

Blog Entries

Glad you're making progress, and I sure wish you had known the CPU was soldered in before you ordered the new one...maybe if you watch resale shops you can pick up an old 486 somewhere that can use it. I think I have 2 boards here that will...bought them both at resale shops very cheap. ($1 each, I think, no more than $5...

And 4MB is the largest chip that was made in 30 pin format. At about the same time they were being sold 72 pin was designed and memory companies pretty much abandoned 30 pin.

------------------

Why do I drive way out here to see the wildlife when all the animals live in town?

Note: Please post your questions on the forums, not in my email. Otherwise I may sic my armed bear on you!

My Photography

Hey Pete,

You are certainly welcome to make an offer on the CPU. I doubt if I will use it, since I have my hands full studying for the CPA exam. I just want to get the POS off the kitchen table, (the wife is getting pissed) and give it to the kid for low level games and free net access, so he can at least email his family and become a little more computer literate. Sure, it will be slow, but he can twiddle his thumbs while he's waiting.

Let me know. Again, I have no major plans for it.

Cheers,

BB 66

P.S. It was my own dumb fault for not checking the CPU beforehand. Live and learn, I guess.

---- Auther Unknown

Thumbs up

Follow Up. Sorry Pete, I did in fact end up installing the new processer in my old 486 work computer. It's basically my DOS computer that I use for spreadsheets and such. Yep, still use DOS based software. I am resistant to change.

Cheers,

BB 66

---- Auther Unknown

Blog Entries

No problem, I can't test to be sure I have a working board that will support it right now anyway.

And you're not the only one who uses DOS, right now my older computers aren't hooked up, but when I have a chance to get them back up and running I have a couple that use DOS only, including two XT's...3 if you count the dual floppy only machine...played the original Tetris lately? On a 4.77 MHz machine? hehe...The Packard Bell P-60 uses DOS/Win3.11 also, I use DOS occasionally on it too.

------------------

My Photography

Thread Information