Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: Installing Modem

Post Installing Modem

Hi all, I have a Compaq Presario 4122 with an internal modem 336.vsc which uses com port 2 and trying to install a usrobotics sportster 568600 model 0459 external modem I completely removed my internal modem and went to the modem properties and removed it from there too. then I install my external modem, reboot the PC, but windows is not picking up the modem I also went to Modems properties and did a dianostic test and comes with an error msg make sure the modem is conected and so on...

Thanks for your help.

Fred

I'm gonna do some guessing here...you didnt tell us what serial port you were trying to connect the modem to!! Do you have a serial mouse? If you have a PS2 style mouse then you want to connect the modem to Serial Port(Com 1) and turn it on...If you have Win 98 it will probably find it and allow you to install drivers...If you have Win 95 you need to read instructions that came with modem on how to install it on Com 1. If you DO HAVE A SERIAL MOUSE....it's gonna get a LOT harder, but it is doable. Just let us know a bit more about your system so we can come up with what it will take to get your modem working. Keep in mind, you want to be sure there are NO "?"'s in Control Panel/System/Device Manager prior to trying this install.

------------------
    "As hard as a rock & dumb as a brick"...Windows CEMeNT
    XP didn't save Me !

Thanks Randy, I have windows95 my internal modem was using com2 and I install my external modem in com3 because when I install it in com1 and do a dianostic test it comes back can't open port and com3 gives me the msg make sure modem is connected.

You need to DELETE Com 3 now....then you should be able to use Com 1 for your external modem.

------------------
    "As hard as a rock & dumb as a brick"...Windows CEMeNT
    XP didn't save Me !

Thread Information